Transitional accents

jolteonx   Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:16 am GMT
<b><a href='http://media.putfile.com/Rainbow-Passage'>'Rainbow-Passage'</a>

Hi, I just got back from the US and I was wondering how much my accent has changed from my native Singlish accent. I worked in WDW in Orlando, Florida and talked to people from all over the world everyday, and this may had influenced my english pronunciation.

So how different is my accent from General American or how different is it from Singpore's accent? Is it kinda like, in the middle of both? Comments and criticisms are welcome. :)
jolteonx   Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:19 am GMT
Rick Johnson   Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:03 pm GMT
Sounds like the synthesized voice on my computer!
Guest   Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:01 am GMT
Sounds good. Your intonation on "not reflection, but REFRACTION" was exactly right, as was your timing on "no more" and "long, round arch".

You could pronounce your final consonants more clearly. For example, "gold" seemed to become "goal". You could also make sure not to rush over lots of short syllables, which makes it hard to understand you, as for example as in "physical explanation" or "universal".

"Heavy RAIN", not "HEAvy rain," "_A_ristotle", not "AristOtle", "type of BOW" not "TYPE-of-bow". "[Abnormally wide] [yellow band]" not "[Abnormally] [wide yellow band]".

Your "a" is too diphthongal. "Boiling" sounded like "biling". "Round" sounded like "browned". The second and third vowels of "beautiful" are reduced to schwa; it's not "beau-tee-fool".
jolteonx   Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:48 pm GMT
Hey Guest,

Thanks for pointing out my intonational errors. My native accent/dialect likes to simplify consonant clusters and that's one aspect I'm trying to improve on when speaking standard english.