"drawers"

Jonx   Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:18 pm GMT
I'm curious about how people pronounce "drawers". I pronounce it as /drAz/ "drahz". Note that this refers to the clothing, which is distinct from storage spaces, which are /drorz/.
Jim   Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:33 pm GMT
I pronounce them both the same and they are homophones with "draws" also.

/dro:z/
Jonx   Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:41 pm GMT
The former is homophones with "draws" and the latter isn't for me.
Lazar   Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:54 pm GMT
I pronounce "drawers" - both meanings of the word - as "draws" ["drQ:z], which in my rhotic US accent sounds very different from "drores" ["drO@`z]. This phenomenon is common here in New England.
Jonx   Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:47 pm GMT
I'm from Ohio by the way.
Guest   Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:49 pm GMT
So you pronounce "drawer" (storage space) without the r sound? The same as "draw"?
Lazar   Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:54 pm GMT
<<So you pronounce "drawer" (storage space) without the r sound? The same as "draw"?>>

Yep. To me, "Open the drawer" sounds like "Open the draw".
Jonx   Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:05 pm GMT
<<I pronounce "drawers" - both meanings of the word - as "draws" ["drQ:z], which in my rhotic US accent sounds very different from "drores" ["drO@`z]. This phenomenon is common here in New England.>>

Interesting. So you have a pronunciation similar to mine, only that you have it for both meanings of the word. I wonder how this phenomenon originated.
Jim   Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:57 pm GMT
Me too. "Draw" & "drawer" (the thing you put stuff in) are homophones for me.
zzz   Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:37 am GMT
>> Me too. "Draw" & "drawer" (the thing you put stuff in) are homophones for me. <<

Two different vowels:
Draw= drah
Drawer = drohr
Guest   Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:39 am GMT
Draw and drawer are homophones for me as well.
Travis   Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:59 am GMT
I myself have a relatively GA-like pattern for "draws" and "drawers", them being ["dZr\Q:s] and ["dZr\O:Rs] respectively; while the affrication of /d/, the devoicing of /z/, and the use of [R] for /r/ not after a coronal or labial consonant are un-GA-like, such still essentially follows the pattern of GA if one adapts it to the specifics of my dialect's phonology.
NovaScotia   Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:38 am GMT
drawer is ['drA@r] in my accent

A as in fAther
NovaScotia   Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:42 am GMT
drawer is ['drA@r] in my accent

A as in fAther ''a person that draws''

drawer is [dro:r] (it rhymes with door] ''a sliding container''
Travis   Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:57 am GMT
In my case, for "drawers" as in people who draw I have ["dZr\Q:R=:s], just for the sake of completeness.