Wow I haven't been here for over 3 years.

Ashley   Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:51 pm GMT
Hello everyone, there are probably completely different people on here from I last posted, I was 14 years old. I was the one from Minnesota, the one everyone thought I was Asian for some reason. I had the poor reading skills. My reading has improved a lot since I was 14 years old. I'm now 18, and a senior in high school.
Liz   Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:21 pm GMT
Hello,

I can remeber you. I *like* when people can't believe that you know where you are from. Besides, when they hear an accent/dialect they are not familar with, they tend to think it's some Asian accent or suchlike. The same happened to me, too. That's a bad habit in this forum. :-)

Nice to see you(r posts) again.

Do you attend a high school in Minnesota or somewhere else? Are you planning to study at a university?

I'm afraid this post will be deleted for some reason...it's not really connected to any language-related topic...

Cheers
Liz
Ashley   Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:45 pm GMT
Yeah it probably will. I attend high school in Minnesota right now. Next year I will be attending college in Minnesota too. I read my previous posts when I was 14, wow I was stupid back in the day.
Franco   Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:49 pm GMT
Are you trying to say you've become less stupid?

Poor Liz, 3 years stewing away in a lame world of falsehood.
Ashley   Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:10 am GMT
No? By the way 3 years ago, I wasn't lying. None of you would listen to me! :p. I wouldn't lie about something like that. Don't make me record myself again.
Real Ale Lover   Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:52 am GMT
Very strange that no-one remarked that your pronounciation problems are often associated with Asians. I think you're American, just with a typical Asian lisp.
Liz   Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:29 am GMT
<<Poor Liz, 3 years stewing away in a lame world of falsehood.>>

LOL! Noooooooo!!!! :-))
Ashley   Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:18 pm GMT
LOL I just had a reading problem back in the day. I recently passed a college level reading class, so I've gone far since I was a freshman in high school =).
Dr. Know   Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:25 pm GMT
You were the same Ashley whom a couple of guys had taken as a 30+ girl. Correct me If I am wrong, you also posted your on-line picture and has a hispanic heritage link.

Back to the original point, what stuff did you read in your reading class and what techniques did you master? Did you increase your reading speed? Did it help you in your reading in anyway possible?
Ashley   Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:36 pm GMT
I learned how to speed read and comprehend at the same time. I had to read 3 books and connect a similar theme to them. I had to give an 8 minute speech about it. I learned a lot of new vocabulary and learned about Greek roots in the English language etc. Well if any of you want to see an updated picture of me, I will show you, possibly.
Dr.Know   Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:15 pm GMT
Sure. Pictures are always nice. Did you read 3 novels or other kinds of books?
Ashley   Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:48 pm GMT
I read 3 novels. One was Frankenstein, the other was So Yesterday, and the other was Idiot Girl Club. The theme I found in those were loneliness. It was pretty fun.
Dr.Know   Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:09 pm GMT
On the contrary, I hate loneliness in my real life. So reading such novels is not my type. I am into Sherlock Holmes series. A couple of days back I read "study in scarlet" it was suspense all the way from the beginning to the end. I was thinking on these lines that if Sherlock had been a real detective, Osama Bin laden would have been captured within 24 hours. What a genius he was. Solved the whole mystery in his mind like 1-2-3 in the above mentioned story!

Sherlock: I'd capture Osama within 24 hours.

Bush: Bah..baah...baah.. I'd capture the whole Afghanistan within 24 hours.

One thing that is common between sherlock and Bush is arrogance.

:-)
Ashley   Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:42 pm GMT
Well it's a common theme I found in the books, so I wrote about them! Just to let you know, I am an American and my native tongue IS indeed English. Although when I was little I had speech and language, so I had speech issues. I don't have them so much anymore, but it still comes back to haunt me. When I read out loud sometimes I get confused and such. I read so much better in my head. Plus, when you live where I do, our accent is different than the rest of America.
Guest   Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:48 pm GMT
Oh really. Where do you live in America? What american accent do you have? 99.9% American girls and women sound very similar on my ears.