Scandinavians vs Mandarin and Cantonese

Hankookin   Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:57 pm GMT
From my understanding, Swedish, Norwegian and Danish people can speak each other with their own language. And I also heard Italian, Spanish and Portuguese are mutually intelligible.

If so, should we classify those languages as one common language of three dialects?
I mean, instead of saying Swedish, Norwegian and Danish separately, just say it's Scandinavian with three dialects.
Like these:
* Swedish dialect of Scandinavian
* Norwegian dialect of Scandinavian
* Danish dialect of Scandinavian
What do you think?

In terms of Chinese language, Mandarin(Standard Chinese called Putonghua) and Cantonese(Guangdong or Hongkong Chinese) are so different that they can not understand each other.
In this case, shouldn't we classify them as two separate languages?
Fredrik from Norway   Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:10 pm GMT
It's much easier to just say "Norwegian" than "Norwegian dialect of Scandinavian".
Plus you have to remember that the standards and literary norms are different in the three Scandinavian languages, even though we understand each other. I, as a Norwegian, can't work as a Swedish teacher in Sweden, because I wouldn't know what's right or wrong Swedish, even though I and the pupils would understand each other perfectly.
Why some varities are languages and others just classified as dialects is very much a historical and political issue.
And nobody thinks Mandarin and Cantonese are one language.
Fredrik from Norway   Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:12 pm GMT
And Italian, Spanish and Portuguese are not at all mutually intelligible like the Scandinavian languages.
Hankookin   Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:29 pm GMT
Oh okay. I should correct that Italian, Spanish and Portuguese are somewhat intelligible.

But it's really interesting that Scandinavians can understanding each other.
As a Korean myself, I never understand neither Chinese nor Japanese even though we are neighbors.
East Asian languages are soooo~ different and unique although quite a few words sound similar which are originated from Classic(Ancient) Chinese.

* Additional question for Scandinavians:
Do you guys can distinguish each other just by looking their appearance?
East Asians can tell each other even though we don't hear the language almost 80~90%. (by observing behaviors, make-up, clothes and etc...)
Let's say, if there are 10 Chinese, 10 Koreans, 10 Japanese (sum up 30 people) in the room, I can match their nationality about 80% accurately.
Franco   Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:31 am GMT
It's easier to tell asian races apart than european, but you can still tell them apart in a lot of cases.
Fredrik from Norway   Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:23 am GMT
No, Scandinavians can't tell each other apart just from looking at each other.... we are all so tall and blond....lol, just kidding!
Hankookin   Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:03 am GMT
Oh~ I see. =o

Interestingly enough, Lativans can tell Latvians from Russians in most cases. Also, Estonians can tell Estonians from Russians as well though they look pretty much the same to me.
That's what I've heard from my Latvian and Estonian friends when I was traveling in those two countries.

Maybe that's not applicable for Scandinavians. =p
Franco   Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:48 am GMT
Its ironic that white people always say "they all look alike " stereotypes relating to asians when in fact they are far and away easier to distinguish than western races.
Guest   Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:55 am GMT
Easier? Asians all have straight black hair and brown eyes.

Well, if you look at sheep for long enough, you can tell them apart.
Franco   Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:19 am GMT
I don't mean telling individuals apart, but rather telling Chinese from Japanese , Coreans from Malaysians etc.
Hankookin   Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:54 am GMT
Southeast Asians look definitely different from East Asians!
The differences between them are like those of Norwegians and Spaniards.
Southeast Asians tend to have darker skin, larger eyes and are generally shorter than East Asians.
Guest   Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:43 pm GMT
>>I don't mean telling individuals apart, but rather telling Chinese from Japanese , Coreans from Malaysians etc. <<

I can't except perhaps the Japanese who might appear paler but even then you can find similar variations among other Asian groups. Indigenous Malays is another matter. There are a lot of Chinese and Indian Malays.

But that doesn't make it easier to distinguish Dutch from Germans or Norwegians from Swedes.
The Swede   Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:53 pm GMT
Well, I know one way you can distinguish the Scandinavians, ask a few questions where the intelligence put to the test. If the person is smart then you can assume that it is a Swede. :) Just kidding!
Well, this is true Swedes and Danes differs a bit when it is about humor. Both Swedes and Danes admited that in a Swedish TV program which was sent because of the inauguration of the Öresunds bridge.
Fredrik from Norway   Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:52 pm GMT
And you can know that the poster is a native of the very neutral nation of Sweden if he adds "Just kidding!" after a joke he considers might be just a little weeny tiny bit offensive! Gotta love them for that..... :-)
Fredrik from Norway   Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:53 pm GMT
And you can know that the poster is a native of the very neutral nation of Sweden if he adds "Just kidding!" after a joke he considers might be just a little weeny tiny bit offensive! Gotta love them for that..... :-)