Linking/Intrusive r

Josh Lalonde   Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:30 pm GMT
Does on anyone use linking r in places like 'water and ice' but not intrusive r in places like 'China and Japan'? I mean this of course for non-rhotic speakers (ie. if you don't pronounce r except before a vowel). I also mean this as just natural speech; lots of people can do this if they try, but I'm wondering if anyone does it naturally. Also, any rhotic speakers with intrusive r?
Lazar   Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:09 pm GMT
I'm fully rhotic, but I do have intrusive r - a result of my New England upbringing. I would say,

"China and Japan" ["tSaIn@` @n dZ@"p_h{n]
"law and order" ["lQ:r\ @n "O@`4@`]
"drawing" ["dr\Q:r\IN]
Jim   Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:56 pm GMT
I'm fully non-rhotic & use linking /r/ in all of those cases mentioned above.
Josh Lalonde   Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:26 pm GMT
I love intrusive r at morpheme boudaries within words (like drawing, above). I sometimes try to throw an intrusive r into my speech, but I can't usually get away with it. However, what I'm really wondering is if anyone naturally produces linking r but not intrusive r. I think this is useful in deciding whether or not there is an "underlying r" in non-rhotic speech. Speakers who produce r in all sequences of vowels at morpheme boundaries (or just word boundaries) would probably not have an underlying r, whereas those who distinguish historic r and historic non-r words would have an underlying r that is deleted in non-prevocalic positions.
I'm also interested in a second type of non-rhoticism that has been observed in AAVE and Southern American English, where r is even deleted intervocalically when the following vowel is not stressed or word-initial. For example, "Carolina" pronounced [ke@la:n@] (this transcription includes the monophtongisation of /aI/, because it is widespread in these two dialects). This form of non-rhoticism has no linking r either: r is restricted to the beginning of words and stressed syllables (though many of these speakers have [@'] for the NURSE lexical set).
I think the [r\] phoneme is an endangered species in English!
Kyle   Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:57 pm GMT
<<I'm also interested in a second type of non-rhoticism that has been observed in AAVE and Southern American English, where r is even deleted intervocalically when the following vowel is not stressed or word-initial. For example, "Carolina" pronounced [ke@la:n@] (this transcription includes the monophtongisation of /aI/, because it is widespread in these two dialects). This form of non-rhoticism has no linking r either: r is restricted to the beginning of words and stressed syllables (though many of these speakers have [@'] for the NURSE lexical set).>>

Nonrhoticism is common in many old people here in Alabama. And yes, "Caralina" will often become more like "Calina" [k@la:n@] for them contrasted with my [kE@r@laIn@].
MFK   Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:44 pm GMT
I'm nonrhotic and I have a linking /l/ after "water and ice" and "China and Japan". I pronounce the following as:

"China and Japan" /tSaIn@l @n dZ@pEn/
"water and ice" /wOt@l @n aIs/
"sawing" /sOliN/
Josh Lalonde   Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:46 pm GMT
<<I'm nonrhotic and I have a linking /l/ after "water and ice" and "China and Japan". I pronounce the following as:

"China and Japan" /tSaIn@l @n dZ@pEn/
"water and ice" /wOt@l @n aIs/
"sawing" /sOliN/>>

Wow, I've never heard of linking l in this context before. Where are you from?
MFK   Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:00 pm GMT
I'm from Singapore.
Josh Lalonde   Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:46 pm GMT
Are you a first language English speaker? I've heard of lots of interesting things in Singaporean English, but I don't know much about it.
MegaBox   Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:38 pm GMT
<<I love intrusive r at morpheme boudaries within words (like drawing, above). I sometimes try to throw an intrusive r into my speech, but I can't usually get away with it.>>

I pronounce "drawing" as /d_Za:N/ with one syllable, so there's not really anywhere to insert an "r" in my speech as there's only one vowel.
Josh Lalonde   Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:00 pm GMT
<<I pronounce "drawing" as /d_Za:N/ >>

Do you mean that you don't pronounce [r\] after the /d/ or [d_Z]? Is this a feature of standard Jamaican English? I was under the impression that this was more a feature of Patois or Jamaican Creole, whichever you want to call it. (Though I'm certainly no expert). Where would you place yourself on the scale from Creole to standard English?
MegaBox   Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:09 pm GMT
<<Do you mean that you don't pronounce [r\] after the /d/ or [d_Z]? Is this a feature of standard Jamaican English? I was under the impression that this was more a feature of Patois or Jamaican Creole, whichever you want to call it. (Though I'm certainly no expert). Where would you place yourself on the scale from Creole to standard English?>>

The cluster "dr" and "tr" merge with the affricates "j" and "ch" in my speech. Such produces homophones like:

"draw", "jaw"
"drain", "Jane"
"true", "chew"

I'd say that my speech is a mixture of the Creole and standard Jamaican English.
Jolteonx   Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:31 pm GMT
I'm from Singapore and I don't have an intrusive l -_^ However, that could be because I've spent some time in the states and picked up a bit of the accent. My speech is mostly rhotic, but when I get excited or angry or upset, my intrusive r rears its ugly head again.

China and Japan - tSain@ (r)i@n dZ@pi@n
Water and Ice - wA4@r ri@n @Is
Drawing - dr/AwIn
Jim   Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:16 pm GMT
Naturally producing linking r but not intrusive r ... I guess there may be some who do. I don't. I have both i.e. there is no "underlying r" in my speech. I believe that this is the norm for non-rhotic speech.

I don't know that it's a question of word or even morpheme boundaries: for me it seems simply to be any sequence of vowels i.e. it's a question of syllable boundaries. Nor is it always [r\] for me there is also linking/intrusive [j] and [w], the choice simply being determined by the preceding vowel. For example, my "create" is something along the lines of ["kr\i:.j{It].
Josh Lalonde   Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:28 am GMT
<<I don't know that it's a question of word or even morpheme boundaries: for me it seems simply to be any sequence of vowels i.e. it's a question of syllable boundaries. Nor is it always [r\] for me there is also linking/intrusive [j] and [w], the choice simply being determined by the preceding vowel. For example, my "create" is something along the lines of ["kr\i:.j{It].>>

I think this is fairly standard in English across the world. I can't imagine any dialect where someone would say [kri:?e:t], and the glide here is naturally [j]. Just to clarify, you would use linking r after centering diphthongs, and the NORTH/FORCE/CURE, NURSE and START vowels, right? (I'm assuming some of your CURE merges with NORTH in the pure-pour split). Linking [w] occurs only after /u:/, and [j] after /i:/. Correct?