FRENCH and ITALIAN

Draequola   Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:18 pm GMT
Yes, do you think they are mutual intelligible when wirtten if so, to what extent?And if a person speaks French well, could he learn Italian very easily?Btw, is French understood better by a Spaniard or an Italian?
Pete   Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:52 pm GMT
What I know is that when reading, a French person can understand the general sense of what is being said, thanks to the vocabulary similarities and viceversa.

But when speaking due to the extreme differences in phonology, they can't communicate unless they have some previous knowledge of each other language, or some exposure to the language...

The same, when reading an Italian speaker can uncerstand better than a Spanish speaker. But when speaking neither is in advantage. I remember, as a child, I had a little brochure about wine, it was in French. And I could barely understand what it said, not to mention I couldn't even imagine how the words I read were actually pronounced. Now that I speak Italian, I understand a lot more than I did before, I's say around 80 percent when reading. And thanks to the fact that I hear French fairly often, I can pick up some words when they speak slowly and understand around 30 -50% of what they say, only when they speak slowly!!

Pete from Peru
Pete   Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:00 pm GMT
'I's say' that should be 'I'd say'... missed lots of commas as well, anyway you understand what I tried to say.

Pete from Peru
Draequola   Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:58 am GMT
Thank you very much for your comments ;) I'll think...