Who can answer this question?

Libelle Reiher   Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:23 pm GMT
It is a fact that:

"There are 200 million speakers of German worldwide. German is the most frequently studied language in the world after English and Japanese. Worldwide there are currently 20 million students of German. Of these, 13 million are in Europe, Eastern Europe and the former USSR, where it is the most commonly used second language. In the United States there are 600,000 students learning German. In Japan, 68% of students study German."

By some persons' logic, there should be twice as many people learning Spanish in the world as German. So why are English, Japanese, and German the most studied languages in the world? I look forward to your answers. Please only respond if you believe in basing your opinions on facts, not hysteria and blind emotion.

Merci beaucoup,
Libelle
Nina   Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:26 pm GMT
where is YOUR sources?
The Swede   Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:44 pm GMT
Well, Germany is the largest European economy which make the language to a big languge. About Japanese they have been the big power in Asia until now in the latest years China and India has growth a lot but it takes time until you see shifts in "language league" and Japan has still big companies. English well you don´t need to motivate why.
Spani, they have not yet become a big power economicly and Latin America where Spanish also is speaken they are even more behind when its about economic. That simple it´s much economy which steer which language people choose to learn, of course economy is not the only factor.
guest   Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:07 pm GMT
<<That simple it´s much economy which steer which language people choose to learn>>

I would say it's economy (i.e. $$) too--you hit it on the head.
Franc   Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:19 pm GMT
German language stinks!! All that mucus in the throat! They speak like somebody with the flu. Not being a nice language I suppose that there is money around. That's the answer ?
Guest   Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:30 pm GMT
200 millions of german speakers? What else?
You exagerate un poquito...
I would be surprised to see your sources!
Libelle Reiher   Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:34 pm GMT
Salut Franc,

I am not asking for or saying that there is only "one right or THE right answer" -- I only want to know people's opinions.
Franc   Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:23 pm GMT
Oh sorry! But German is really ugly as German girls since they look like the men, too tall, thin, too white, almost transparent, hehehe ;). I went to Frankfurt last year, really nice place, but they are like robots with no femininity unlike Spanish, Italian or French girls, Oh-lala!

Why somebody would like to learn German ? I don't understand your point. Is it good or is it bad ? Then what is the answer ?
j-p.a   Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:31 pm GMT
Franc

You learn a language to speak to the girls- this is your only motivation ? Why you haven't sufficient succes in your own country then? Poor Franc !

It's racist to say that they're too white : if you would say they are too black, it wouldn't be acceptable, so about white it's also racist. They're too tall ? Are you very little, Franc ?

About the question : I think that Spanish is very much studied, and French - they both more than German.
Franc   Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:47 pm GMT
Oh Hi! j-p.a, odd sign, hehehe :) I'm then f.r.a-n.c, hehehe!

TOO black, TOO white, TOO blue, there is not TOO much difference, hehehe!

B.t.w. do you know the answer for Libelle's question ? I'm puzzled by his question. TOO smart girl, hehehe!

Thanks