took the "register" in UK and took the "roll

Sona   Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:14 pm GMT
Do British people use "register" while American use "roll call" as shown in the Harry potter UK and US edition?

-At the start of their first lesson he took "the register",... (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone, UK edition)

-At the start of their first class he took "the roll call",… (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, US edition)
Ed   Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:51 pm GMT
In the US "take attendance" is the most widely used, in my opinion, while I've never heard "register" being used in that sense.
Rick Johnson   Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:50 pm GMT
Yes "register" is the word most commonly used in British Schools. In the same respect, break times at school are known as "break", but "recess" in the US.

I know nothing about Harry Potter do the books have different titles in the two editions- how odd!!
Damian in Scotland   Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:51 pm GMT
At my last school it was called Registration then after that it was Assembly. I never want to hear "For all the saints" "Ye holy angels bright" or "Onward Christian soldiers" again for as long as I live.
Uriel   Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:21 pm GMT
"Registration" in US schools refers to the paperwork you have to do to enroll in the school and sign up for classes. You usually only do that once or twice a year. Each morning the teachers will "call roll" or "take attendence".

As far as I know, the only title change in the HP books was on the first one -- "Philosopher's Stone" became "Sorcerer's Stone" and that was solely a publishing decision -- there's no proof that Americans wouldn't have liked or bought the original title.
Guest   Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:28 am GMT
I hadn't heard "taking the register" but it wouldn't be hard to figure out its meaning from the context or by being inquisitive. I find it absurd that they would make such changes, let alone produce an American version, considering the story is set in Britain with British characters. I think most kiddies, regardless of their nationality, who read Harry Potter, would naturally be curious to learn these Briticisms as they pertain to its British essence.
Uriel   Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:51 am GMT
I agree, Guest. I think the bean counters micromanage things far too much in order to make sure can reach the widest possible audience and make the largest pile of money, and that leads to them thinking they know best what the public wants.
Lazar   Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:04 am GMT
<<As far as I know, the only title change in the HP books was on the first one -- "Philosopher's Stone" became "Sorcerer's Stone" and that was solely a publishing decision -- there's no proof that Americans wouldn't have liked or bought the original title.>>

I think I acutally prefer the British title. "Sorcerer" sounds too trite.