Chicano influences in California English

Sarcastic Californian   Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:27 pm GMT
<<<<<What is Lmao?. It is not in my dictionary. Is Californian being Sarcastic? (I just learn the word sarcastic). Hi Californian, why are you so bitter?. Do you have the tensions?.>>>>>

LMAO is short for :"laughing my ass off". It's not a real word, so it shouldn't be in the dictionary. I was not being sarcasctic...really, I was just reflecting your joke. And as to why I am so bitter? Ah, my friend, bitterness is the mere side-affect of heavy sarcasm pooring out of my mouth every single day. Don't take it offensive.

<<<<<Lol I don't have a Cowboy hat... I do have cowboy boots, but I haven't worn them in years... I usually wear my vans, chucks, or airwalks...

No horse, no guns... SoCal don't take kindly to them folks 'round here... lol>>>>>

I myself actually have never seen a Texan dressed as what you just described. Only on T.V. have I seen it....and I know by now NEVER to trust that glowing, talking box. The Stereotype Media strikes again!
Sarcastic Californian   Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:30 pm GMT
<<<<<Sorry to rewind a little, but someone said that Californians would pronounce dull and dole the same. That is absolutely not true. They have two different vowels for us.>>>>>

Everyone from California I know pronounces it the same. I've never heard it differently...at least, inside the state.

<<<<<I have cahlture; difficohlt and huhll>>>>>

Really? Never heard culture spoken like that before.
Sarcastic Northwesterner   Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:40 pm GMT
>> Everyone from California I know pronounces it the same. I've never heard it differently <<

Me too. I've also heard it like that in Utah and Arizona as well.

>> <<<<<I have cahlture; difficohlt and huhll>>>>>

Really? Never heard culture spoken like that before. <<

Yeah, that's how I pronounce it. It could be just my personal idiolect however. There's a lot of variation of how those words are pronounced here in the Northwest. However, I've only hear one native Northwesterner recently pronounce hull and hole the same. Some people say cuhlture for "culture". Most people seem to say "difficult" as "difficholt". "Huhll" is "hull". For me, "golf" and "gulf" sound the same, but others here pronounce "gulf" as "guhlf" or even sometimes "gohlf".