Learning FRENCH or GERMAN?

Trokken fa Danimarka   Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:39 pm GMT
Which one would you recommend me to learn?
Eric   Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:48 pm GMT
The one you like best.
Trokken fa Danimarka   Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:54 pm GMT
I like French most but I'll learn one of these languages for not pleasure but for commerce, got it? Which will earn me the most, you think?
Eric   Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:24 pm GMT
I'm not the right person to ask, I only learn languages for pleasure.
Franco   Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 am GMT
To earn the most money learn Spanish.
Franco   Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:32 am GMT
But seriously, unless there is some specific certain job you are aiming to have, knowing another language is a bonus but it is your actual skills as a whatever that will be earning you the big bucks. Therefore learn either language but worry about your commerce the most.
Pete   Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:24 am GMT
<<Trokken fa Danimarka Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:39 pm GMT
Which one would you recommend me to learn?

Eric Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:48 pm GMT
The one you like best.

Trokken fa Danimarka Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:54 pm GMT
I like French most but I'll learn one of these languages for not pleasure but for commerce, got it? Which will earn me the most, you think?>>

It seems to be that you want people to answer German. You started this just to kick up some controverse.

Eric, your answer was quite sensible.

Personally, I'll take French first. French is more beautiful than German in my opinion. Well that's me... Besides French will be easier because it's a Romance language like my Spanish. In addition to that, Germans always speak English, The French don't always do, because they can't or because they don't like it. SO, I'll be taking French first and then German.

Again I repeat, that's me. Our opinions may differ.

I hope it was helpful

Regards

Pete from Peru
Franco   Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:43 am GMT
All you have to do if you want to be rich is learn the language of money-laundering. That will take you a lot further than knowing a shit all German or French.
Irrintzi   Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:28 pm GMT
<<Trokken fa Danimarka>>
You are danish?
Thus you speak a germanic language, for you german can be the most easier.
But if you prefer french, you can start to learn it, you can learn the both...
Trokken fra Danimarka   Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:32 pm GMT
Yes, I am Danish, but I know three languages very well as a gift by being born a Dane.The three mutual intelligible languages: Swedish, Norwegian and Danish.Although they sound me a bit Germanic and weird when I hear them, I understand them but as I don't know the grammar very well I can't speak them.Beside them, I understand English and German already but I can't speak them very well in conversation.I want to be fluent at least in a few Romance languages which I wish they were French and Spanish.
jo   Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:54 am GMT
@Pete

>> Germans always speak English

That's nonsense. Only around two-thirds of all Germans have at least basic knowledge of English, and only 25 percent of them refer to their knowledge as "good" or "very good", making a total of around 17 percent!

As Trokken is Danish and has already basic knowledge of German and English, German would be the easiest language to learn for him.
Skippy   Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:14 am GMT
More people speak French, but, in my opinion, German would work best for business purposes (as many in Eastern Europe speak German).
hn   Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:04 am GMT
>> More people speak French

worldwide, but not in Europe ...
Pete   Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:58 pm GMT
<<>> Germans always speak English

That's nonsense. Only around two-thirds of all Germans have at least basic knowledge of English, and only 25 percent of them refer to their knowledge as "good" or "very good", making a total of around 17 percent!>>

Well, that's what I think. Most Germans I've met spoke English, understandable English. Only old people didn't speak English very well or didn't speak it at all. I haven't been to Germany, I'm talking about travellers I've met during my journeys and at work.

Kind regards

Pete from Peru
Eric   Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:04 pm GMT
I remember the figures are circa 45% of English speakers in Germany.