Easiest Slavic language to pronounce

zzz   Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:56 pm GMT
Which Slavic language is the easiest for English speakers to pronounce correctly and easily?
Lan   Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:06 pm GMT
Serbian-Bosnian-Croatian
Skippy   Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:44 am GMT
I've always heard Bulgarian because it's lost the declensions that you'd find in Polish and Russian...
Un mallorquí.   Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:04 am GMT
Bulgarian is the easiest. Serbo-Croatian is a tonal language, like Swedish, and, for most of latin-speakers, it's a great difficulty.

Bulgarian has no declensions, and only six vowels.

Miquel Adrover
Skippy   Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:18 am GMT
Oh, the topic is easiest to pronounce... Not learn/understand or whatever...

I have no idea... I'd assume Polish. But I'm not basing that on much.

And Albanian is an Indo-European language in its own category. It's definitely NOT Slavic and it's definitely NOT Turkic. It's like Greek, where it doesn't have any immediate relatives.
Albovic   Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:20 am GMT
Bulgarian has queer letters like this "a" ъ

Serbian is more easy,because it is writtern in both latin and cyrillic alphabet.
Boris   Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:14 pm GMT
Oh no, serbian is very hard to learn and speak. You must definitely be serbian or croatian to get into that mess of a language. It is useless to learn for any non-native because you can use it nowhere else but in places where your life might be in danger, like Serbia, etc. So, I would rather learn chinese than start learning serbian, at least if you learn chinese there is a chance of staying alive :-)

Bulgarian is very easy for everyone, and has a "lighter" tone too.
Marie   Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:07 am GMT
I must agree! Serbian is a strange, difficult and useless language. It was supposed to be easier when serbians borrowed it from croatians, but they somehow complicated it and made it quite boring to listen to and learn...I hope they do something about it, change it somehow, or learn another language, or don't speak it at all...it bothers a lot of people...it's like something is missing there...anyway, I have started learning some Hungarian, lets see how far I go with it :-) It looks easy so far.
Pete   Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:32 pm GMT
<<Serbian is more easy,because it is writtern in both latin and cyrillic alphabet.>>

Not really. You have two languages which are almost the same. Croatian, written in latin characters, and Serbian written in cyrillic alphabet.

<<I hope they do something about it, change it somehow, or learn another language, or don't speak it at all...it bothers a lot of people...it's like something is missing there...anyway>>

Well, I consider it highly unlikely. I don't think an entire community will change their language only because a bunch of people don't like it.

Kind regards

Pete from Peru
Proud2beYUGO   Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:40 pm GMT
Albanian trolls can mess up every post but they CANNOT give some
link-reference to approve what they claim

1.Serbian unlike bosnian and croatian
is still NOW written in both alphabets

Serbian orthography is very consistent: approximation of the principle "one letter per sound". This principle is represented by Adelung's saying, "Write as you speak and read as it is written", the principle used by Vuk Stefanović Karadžić when reforming the Cyrillic orthography of Serbian in the 19th century.

Two alphabets are used in Serbian language: the Cyrillic and the Latin. The two alphabets are almost equivalent; the only difference being the glyphs used. This is due to historical reasons; Serbian once being a part of the Serbo-Croat unification brought Latin usage into Serbia.

http://www.answers.com/topic/serbian-language

The Language
The Serbian language is a result of the work of the great Serbian philologist and language reformer, Vuk Stefanovich Karadzich . There are thirty sounds in the language. The language has the Cyrillic and the Latin alphabets.

In the Cyrillic alphabet, there is one symbol for each sound, thatis, there are as many letters as sounds (30), making it completely phonetic. This system was introduced by Vuk Stefanovich Karadzich . who followed the rule: write as you speak, and read as you write . The Latin alphabet is also phonetic, but some double letters are pronounced as one sound.

The spelling of Serbian does not present any difficulties, because there is one symbol for each sound. Serbian is thus one of the easiest language to learn to write. The order of the letters differs in the Cyrillic and the Latin alphabets.

Serbian, written in the Cyrillic alphabet is the official language. Albanian and Hungarian are also spoken.

http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/users/lpv/YU/HTML/jezik.html
Marie   Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:29 pm GMT
Didn't I just tell you they're boring? LOL...
Skippy   Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:24 am GMT
I just read the IPA handbook and looked at the chart of phonemes for Slovenian... It looks fairly simple for English speakers.
Guesto   Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:04 am GMT
Slovenian doesn't have an internet way to learn it.
No serious dictionary,no translator machine and no tutorials
Ante   Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:53 am GMT
''Serbo-Croatian is a tonal language''

not anymore.
most speakers of Croatian have the dynamic accent, not the tonal one
''Croatian is a tonal language'' only in theory, not in practice

(it's just like saying WHICH and WITCH are not pronounced in the same way in English; in theory they have different pronunciation; but in practice it's the same thing).

I'm from Zagreb, and I don't have 4 ''tonal accents''.
Northern and Western Croatia has no distinction between ''falling and rising tones'' (both are neutralized) and ''short and long syllables'' (both are medium long). So 4 tonal accents have become only 1, dynamic accent (like in English)

Not even on croatian tv, they use 4 tonal accents. Most newscaster only have one short and one long dynamic accent, but many of them have only one (like in English). ''Tonacity'' is disappearing from Croatian [but it may be kept in Serbian or Bosnian, i don't know]
Etna   Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:23 pm GMT
i think the more easy language must be that which uses many vowels