Principal vs. principle

Josh Lalonde   Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:48 am GMT
Does anyone differentiate these words?
Lazar   Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:58 am GMT
I pronounce them both as ["p_hr\Ins@p5=].
Skippy   Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:13 am GMT
lol I don't, but whenever I have to use one in a paper or something I always remember how Mr. Belding "put the 'pal' in principal" on Saved by the Bell...

But no, I don't say them differently...
R. J.   Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:37 am GMT
I've heard /prInsIp{l/ for "principal", but it's more of an exaggeration than an actual pronunciation of the word.
Travis   Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:03 am GMT
I myself pronounce both words as ["p_hr\I~nsIpM:].
Marc   Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:25 am GMT
"Does anyone differentiate these words?"

Principal -pronoun

Principle -noun

*Both are pronounced synonymously as: prínsəp’l

Hope I've clarified.
Geoff_One   Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:27 am GMT
Yes
Josh Lalonde   Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:49 pm GMT
Actually, neither of these is a pronoun. 'Principal' can be either an adjective ("Our principal goal is...") or a noun ("the principal of the school"). 'Principle' is a noun. I was referring specifically to the pronunciation; Geoff_One, do you pronounce these words differently, and if so, how? I have [pP\InsIpu] for both.
Al Z.   Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:46 pm GMT
<<I have [pP\InsIpu] for both.>> Hence, you pronounce "principal" as if it were spelled "principoo"?
Travis   Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:11 pm GMT
>><<I have [pP\InsIpu] for both.>> Hence, you pronounce "principal" as if it were spelled "principoo"?<<

That's just L-vocalization at work, which is nothing really out the ordinary for an English dialect. (You clearly don't know X-SAMPA, or else you would have noticed that my dialect has a very similar pronunciation besides using vocalizing /@l/ to an unrounded vowel and using a different rhotic.)
Al Z.   Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 pm GMT
<<That's just L-vocalization at work, which is nothing really out the ordinary for an English dialect. (You clearly don't know X-SAMPA, or else you would have noticed that my dialect has a very similar pronunciation besides using vocalizing /@l/ to an unrounded vowel and using a different rhotic.)>>

Yes, I know X-sampa. [u] is the "oo" sound for most North Americans. Hence I was wondering whether or not "principal" was pronounced identical to "principoo" for Josh. Your pronunciation doesn't appear to have an "oo" sound in it as you have [M:] rather than [u].
Travis   Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:59 pm GMT
>>Yes, I know X-sampa. [u] is the "oo" sound for most North Americans. Hence I was wondering whether or not "principal" was pronounced identical to "principoo" for Josh. Your pronunciation doesn't appear to have an "oo" sound in it as you have [M:] rather than [u].<<

Sorry, I did not realize that you were sincerely asking such and that such was not just like many of the trollish comments endemic here. And yes, I don't have the exact same sound, because it is unrounded and lax, unlike [u]; the length element is irrelevant, as such is just due to vowel length allophony.
Josh Lalonde   Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:02 pm GMT
I've been unsure of how to transcribe this sound. It is somewhere near [U], but that phone for me is checked and does not appear in open syllables. I was reading a description of l-vocalisation a few days ago that seemed to work well with my accent: it describes the l-vocalisation as involving vowel harmony, with the vocalised l matching the preceeding vowel in height. My realization varies from around [u] to [o], but is always somewhat rounded. It sometimes has a glide as well, so maybe it should be [Uo].