For the "911" terrorist attack, do u say nine one

Biomiao   Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:37 am GMT
For the pronunciation of the "911" terrorist attack, besides the "Semptember the eleventh" terrist attack, do u say "nine one one "attack ?
RedFox   Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:40 am GMT
I say "nine eleven" for the attacks. "nine one one" is for the emergency telephone number.
Skippy   Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:23 am GMT
I say nine eleven, but my int'l law professor calls it nine one one... I'd say nine eleven is found more frequently... At least in America.
Franco   Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:02 am GMT
Why don't people using proper date format call it "eleven oh nine" or just "one one nine".
Pub Lunch   Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:47 pm GMT
Here in England it is always refered to as 9/11, which I have always found odd as we do not structure our dates that way. But then I suppose 9/11 as a soundbite is more catchy than 11/9??? Out of respect I fell as if a I should say 9/11 but it does not come natural to me. I always say 11th September; 9/11 is too alien to me. Sad day, lets hope there is not another.
SpaceFlight   Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:37 pm GMT
"Nine eleven" is by far the most common way of referring to it here in the United States. "nine one one", by contrast, is used exclusively for the emergency telephone number "9-1-1". Yes, it was a sad day.
Josh Lalonde   Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:50 pm GMT
Nine eleven definitely over nine one one. However, September Eleventh is more common in Canada, I think
Guest   Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:05 am GMT
It was a sad no doubt but Iraqis have seen more disgusting days since the arrival of American troops there. But yeah, who gives their lives a toss, they are insignificant creatures on this planet for many people. Disgusting people, digusting world, we people should deserve such sad days in the upcoming days becauswe are heartless animals ...
Uriel   Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:44 am GMT
It's usually written 9/11, not 911, so there's no real temptation to say nine-one-one (except, I guess, for Skippy's law professor).

This is the same as 24/7 -- "twenty-four seven" -- which is never said "two-four-seven". The slash (/) tells you how to divide it up.

I don't think it's something you should have to say "out of respect" -- I pretty much think of it as more of a catchy shorthand. (And it's one of the few dates that ever gets pronounced as written -- we never call the fourth of July "seven - four", for instance. Regardless of how we order the date, we still usually say the full name of the month when speaking.)
Pub Lunch   Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:09 am GMT
Oops, just realised that my post did not answer the question. In England it is referred to as nine - eleven mostly. Some of the media will say September the 11th though.
Yeah Uriel, I see what your saying, but I do feel like due to the media, 9/11 is the label given to that day and that I should use it. When I say 11th September (which just comes out for some reason like that) people have commented on it due to very people saying it that way. I suppose it is like saying New Year's day as the day of the new year??
Guest, I understand what your saying, but as I'm new to this forum and have just read the forum rules/guidelines I can't comment I'm afraid.
Guest   Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:28 am GMT
<<Guest, I understand what your saying, but as I'm new to this forum and have just read the forum rules/guidelines I can't comment I'm afraid. >>

But If you are an American living in England, you should not care about rules and regulations...lol. Go ahead with your comments if you are still not American. It is a moderate forum. All sorts of comments are welcome.
Uriel   Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:02 am GMT
September 11th is common here as well. We tend to drop the "the" between September and eleventh.
Uriel   Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:03 am GMT
Why is your name "Pub Lunch", just out of curiosity?
Guest   Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:43 am GMT
Nine Eleven is used when referring to the 11/9 attacks. I think the influence was wide spread in other countries thanks to the American media covering the tragic event.

How ironic that the date '9/11' also refers to the American 911.
Guest   Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:07 am GMT
There was a rumor that the number 9/11 had significance in the holy book Of koran. Osama and Co purposefully chose that day to exceute their plan. I dont know it was confined to a rumor or there was a trace of truth in it.

<<How ironic that the date '9/11' also refers to the American 911.>>

spooky!