Schedule

Travis   Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:51 pm GMT
>>Orthography is part of language, as is grammar.<<

But hwot ai rait iz djust az mutj ingglisj az hwot ju hav ritten yven dho it luoks different diu tu biing ritten in e different oarthograffi foar ingglisj.

(Noot dhat sum daiekrittiks hav byn omittid from dhis poost foar lak ov dhe propper kiboord settup hyr. Oalso, dhe daigraf "uo" wuod noarmalli not by iuzd hyr.)
Travis   Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:06 am GMT

But hwot ai rait iz djust az mutj ingglisj az hwot ju hav ritten yven dho it luoks different diu tu biing ritten in e different oarthograffi foar ingglisj.

(Noot dhat sum daiekrittiks hav byn omittid from dhis poost foar lak ov dhe propper kiboord settup hyr. Oalso, dhe daigraf "uo" wuod noarmalli not by iuzd hyr.)
Travis   Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:08 am GMT

Josh Lalonde   Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:40 am GMT
I suspect a troll is at work here...
Guest   Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:41 am GMT
I suspect that Travis simply likes to repeat himself.
Travis   Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:42 am GMT
Actually, what happened is that I was trying to write a single post, but the connection with the Antimoon site was always waiting indefinitely, so I kept on retrying. However, the Antimoon site was actually registering my attempt to post and thus created posts for each of my retries.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:02 pm GMT
Basically it's "shed-yule"
Guest   Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:43 pm GMT
SpaceFlight
("schedule" has /sk/ here in the United States. In Commonwealth countries, "schedule" usually has /S/, which would be [SEdju:l] or [SEdZu:l]. "schedule" is trisyllabic for me, so it's /skEdZu.@l/.

<<Not all Commonwealth countries. Here in Canada, most people use /sk/. The /S/ pronunciation is pretty much limited to the CBC. I have three syllables in 'schedule' as well.>>

Yeah, I was aware that Canada had /sk/ for "schedule" as it's pronunciation of things tends to be closer to that used in the United States than the pronunciation used outside of North America.)

Another Commonwealth country that pronounces schedule with "sk" is South Africa, but I don´t think it´s because of the U.S influance. Still to this day the word "ketchup" is never used but rather "tomato sauce".
Liz   Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:18 pm GMT
<<Surprisingly I really do get corrected constantly when I pronounce it, but then I am from Essex.<<

I think it´s rather foolish of them to correct you because you pronounce it that way. Sadly enough, so many people are inclined to percieve anything as incorrect that they are unfamiliar with. Both pronunciations of the word ARE correct and equally acceptable, so no-one has the right to correct you for that. Besides, I´m sure that those people aren´t perfect, either, and you could take the mick out of them for other reasons... if you wanted to.

<<My English is quite bad but thanks to you I now know what a rhyming couplet and palatalised mean. Add that to euphemism and I have had quite a day. Maybe not…<<

As far as your English is concerned, I have already expressed my opinion on the "euphemisms" thread. So, I don´t want to repeat myself. I completely agree with Travis there.

I´m glad to have taught you new words...I wouldn´t have thought that my posts could be so enlightening!!! :-)