Which one is more politically correct??

superdavid   Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:42 pm GMT
Of the following terms, which one is the most politically correct or desirable?

A) mentally retarded children
B) mentally challenged children
C) mentally handicapped children
D) "Suggest better word if you can!"

P.S.I hate to type "I hate spam"
Josh Lalonde   Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:47 pm GMT
I think C) is the most politically correct.

PS. My browser fills it in form me with Auto-Complete
Guest   Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:13 pm GMT
A) is the best.
Guest   Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:42 pm GMT
Disagree with both of y'all. It's B) which is considered the most politically correct. C) is somewhere in between A) and B) with A) being considered the most offensive.
Buddhaheart   Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:52 pm GMT
In my part of the world, I go w/ B).
Uriel   Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:24 am GMT
I think now it's common to even go a step further and refer to them as "developmentally disabled".
Guest   Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:54 pm GMT
<<I think now it's common to even go a step further and refer to them as "developmentally disabled".>>

That's interesting, because to me "disabled" sounds less politically correct than "challenged".
student   Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:06 pm GMT
I believe the current term is children with learning difficulties / learning disabilities. I'd avoid the word retarded.
Ell   Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:20 pm GMT
retarded is used as a degoratory term(used to insult people) so definatly not A.
Josh Lalonde   Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:29 pm GMT
On second thought, I'll agree with the rest of you and go with B). The problem is that the word that was considered politically correct eventually starts being used as an insult, then the PC word has to change again, and so on. "Retarded" was the PC term in the '60s I think, replacing terms like 'moron' or 'idiot'. If you think about it, it just means 'late', which of course is much nicer than the previous terms, but it has acquired a lot of negative connotations over the years, so avoid A).