French fail to stem Franglais invasion

Adam   Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:31 pm GMT
French fail to stem Franglais invasion
By Henry Samuel in Paris

14/03/2007

More English words have entered the French language in the past decade than in the preceding century despite desperate attempts to stem the invasion, a guardian of la langue française conceded yesterday.

"We have not stopped borrowing massively from English for the past 10 years," said Xavier North, whose task is to promote, protect and apply the French language at home and abroad.

His words came as the country celebrated French language week.

"Le weekend", or "fast food", are now common in French, but a plethora of other terms, many linked to new technology have arrived.

"We are even taking English words without giving them a French pronunciation, like 'standing ovation' or 'stock options'," said Mr North.

Sometimes the spelling does change. Celebrities have become "pipole" (from the English people) and the French bemoan the "pipolisation" of their camera-hungry politicians.

In an attempt to halt this perfidious influx, the government has an army of Franglais-busters on call.

But their attempts to turn airbag into "sac gonflable," post-it note into "papillon" and bulldozer into "bouteur", have failed miserably.

Mr North said that every month, 18 government "terminology commissions" send a list of "official" new words deemed acceptable for use by public sector workers in order to "make French a productive language apt at expressing modernity".

His department's job is to "guarantee the primacy of French on national territory," as well as "promoting the employment of French and favour its use as an international language''.

While France must remain "vigilant", Mr North insisted there was no need to panic. He said: "In the 16th century, the same thing happened when Italian took French by storm. Many of the words used then were later rejected. Some we keep, some we spit out.''

telegraph.co.uk
greg   Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:31 am GMT
Tiens, ça faisait longtemps...

« French ♫fail♫ to stem ♫Franglais♫ ♫invasion♫.

More English words have ♫entered♫ the French ♫language♫ in the ♫past♫ ♫decade♫ than in the ♫preceding♫ ♫century♫ ♫despite♫ ♫desperate♫ ♫attempts♫ to stem the ♫invasion♫, a ♫guardian♫ of ♫la♫ ♫langue♫ ♫française♫ ♫conceded♫ yesterday. (...)»

Plus ça change et moins ça change, comme dirait l'autre !
Guest   Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:25 am GMT
I would guess your showing French words in English? But I would hardly call the words la, langue and française English words though.
a.p.a.m.   Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:42 pm GMT
French fail to stem Franglais invasion. Good. Anything that pisses off the French makes me happy.
real_Alba   Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:49 pm GMT
lol apam...perche non ti piacere gli Francesi??
a.p.a.m.   Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:53 pm GMT
Mi piaciono gli Francesi, pero, mi piaciono gli Italiani piu meglio.
real_Alba   Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:25 pm GMT
anch'io :-)
Guest   Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:44 pm GMT
Anybody speaks anglitaliano?
Josh Lalonde   Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:41 am GMT
I think this whole "Franglais" thing has been blown out of proportion. As the guy in the article said, a lot of words have entered French now, but most of them will probably be gone in a hundred years or so. Some of them are really useful, while others are well-covered by a French word and will likely die out. For example, I'm not surprised that a lot of people say "un VCR" rather than "un magnétoscope", but there's really no reason to say "un joke" instead of "une blague". I expect the latter will disappear eventually (while the first might due to technology changing). This is from a Canadian French perspective; I'm not sure if these words are used in France.
greg   Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:15 am GMT
Je pense qu'aucun des deux est utilisé en France. On dit <un magnéto(scope)> et <une blague>.
Josh Lalonde   Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:05 am GMT
Il y a une blague à propos des anglicismes: En France, on se gare dans un "parking"; au Québec, on se "parque" dans un stationnement. C'est interessant de voir quels mots sont empruntés en France et quels au Québec.
Guest   Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:25 pm GMT
We can see differently, how many words English borrowed to French?
The words used at the moment, can be gone out of fashion in 30 years, Italian was the base of several loans for French, but with regard to this moment there, few words of this origin survived...