Do "one" and "none" rhyme for you?

Rick Johnson   Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:58 pm GMT
They are rhyming pairs for me - rhyming with "gone".

Some people, however, rhyme them both with "done". I have also noticed, more peculiarly, that some people rhyme "one" with "gone", but "none" with "done".
Travis   Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:34 pm GMT
At least here those are:

"one" : ["wV~:n]
"none" : ["nV~:n]
"done" : ["dV~:n]

but:

"gone" : ["gQ~:n]
Becky   Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:34 pm GMT
One, none and gone all rhyme for me, but done doesn't.
Guest   Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:05 pm GMT
I have "wun", "nun", "dun".

But "gon".
Guest   Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:18 pm GMT
"one" /wQn/
"none" /nQn/
"gone" /gQn/
"shone" /SQn/
"scone" /skQn/

These all rhyme.

"done" /dUn/

This doesn't.
Lazar   Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:24 pm GMT
For me, "one" rhymes with "none" and "done",

one ["wVn]
none ["nVn]
done ["dVn]

but not with "gone".

["gQ:n]

Pronouncing "one" with /Q/ is a characteristic of some dialects in England (especially Northern England, I think).
Jim   Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:06 am GMT
For me "one" & "none" rhyme with "done" not "gone" with which "shone" & "scone" rhyme. Does anyone rhyme "shone" &/or "scone" with "cone"?
Travis   Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:52 am GMT
>>For me "one" & "none" rhyme with "done" not "gone" with which "shone" & "scone" rhyme. Does anyone rhyme "shone" &/or "scone" with "cone"?<<

I myself rhyme "shone", "scone", and "cone":

"shone" : ["So~:n]
"scone" : ["sko~:n]
"cone" : ["k_ho~:n]
Skippy   Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:21 am GMT
I say "one" and "none" the same (with the same vowel as in the word "but") but "gone" I pronounce as in "hot."

I figured this is how most people would pronounce them... Guess I was quite wrong...
Lazar   Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:59 pm GMT
I also rhyme "shone", "scone", and "cone":

shone ["S7Un]
scone ["sK7Un]
cone ["k_h7Un]

And to add to this list of words, how do you pronounce the adjective "wont" (as in, "to be wont to do something")? I pronounce it as ["w7Unt], homophonous with "won't", and not with "want". This, I've read, is the more common pronunciation in England, and I think I picked it up from my mother, who spent a lot of time in England as a child.
Sarcastic Northwesterner   Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:33 pm GMT
wun
nun
gahn
Josh Lalonde   Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:38 pm GMT
one [wVn]
none [nVn]
done [dVn]
gone [gAn]
scone [skAn]
shone [SAn]
cone [kon]
wont [wAn?]
Uriel   Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:07 am GMT
One, none, and done all rhyme; gone is the odd one out. Gone

Scone, cone, and shone all rhyme for me, and wont and want sound the same.
Mikey   Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:23 am GMT
For me, one, none and done all sound the same, gone doesn't.

Scone rhymes with shone and con but not cone. Wont and want don't really rhyme either, though they sound very similar.
Rick Johnson   Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:23 pm GMT
Scone is an odd one. In most (but not all) of Northern England it is pronounced to rhyme with "stone", but in other areas (especially the South) it rhymes with "gone".

As for "shone", I've never heard it pronounced differently anywhere- it's always "shQn"!

I think the main differences in England are between East and West, for example, one is usually pronounced as nVn in Yorkshire (East), but nQn in Lancashire (West). I have noticed that some people in the South East, however, will say wQn, but nVn. This makes no sense whatsoever given that none just means "not one".