Lexical similarities between Italian & Portuguese

Sergio   Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:06 pm GMT
Hi Observant,

>>I noticed that the syntax or the order of the words in Italian and Portuguese always parallel which puts Spansih out of place.

Once again, can you give us some examples of that?

I am a native Spanish speaker. I have studied Portuguese and Italian. What's your background? are you a native speaker of any of these three languages or have studied any or all of them? I'm curious because I am interested in this item as well. Please don't take me wrong.
Mina   Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:26 pm GMT
>>I noticed that the syntax or the order of the words in Italian and Portuguese always parallel which puts Spansih out of place.

It's not true. Italian has a weird word order:

Italian: Te lo dico io.
Brazilian Portuguese: Sou eu quem falo/digo isso pra você.

-To digo eu- [literal translation from ''te lo dico io''] wouldn't be understood in Brazil at all.

Italian: Vengo li da te.
Brazilian Portuguese: Eu vou aí na sua casa.

The only similar feature between spoken regional Italian and spoken regional Brazilian Portuguese would be the usage of articles with persons' names:

spoken regional Italian: la casa del Marco, un' amica della Maria
spoken regional Brazilian Portuguese: a casa do Marcos, uma amiga da Maria

also, Tuscan NOI SI is similar to French ON and Portuguese A GENTE:

Noi si va = A gente vai = We go.
Observant   Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:57 am GMT
Hey all of you I'm just pointing the similarities between Italian and Portuguese. There lots of simolarities between the two as much as in Spanish and Portuguese.

I noticed that Spanish people wanted to bring the Protuguese people under their dominance that they don't want Portuguese to be likened to its other sister languages like Italian. After all their mother is Latin.

Smae thing in the other thread. Somebody posted that Romanian is closest to Latin in grammar and there goes those who contradict.

Why can't you accept a fact?

Do you really know ehat SYNTAX means?
Guest   Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:34 pm GMT
xxProtuguese people under their dominance xx

They are a bag full of wind that are too stupid to be taken seriously.The more nonsense they talk the less people will want to learn Spanish. Who wants to learn a language to speak with idiots in their native language when it is already a curse to put up with them in English.

(I am not including everybody in this comment only the ignorant fools, and those that pretend they are Spanish speakers)
Pete   Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:08 pm GMT
<<They are a bag full of wind that are too stupid to be taken seriously.The more nonsense they talk the less people will want to learn Spanish. Who wants to learn a language to speak with idiots in their native language when it is already a curse to put up with them in English.

(I am not including everybody in this comment only the ignorant fools, and those that pretend they are Spanish speakers)>>

Thank you very much, guest. I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

Now, about the similarities between Portuguese and Italian, I'm not quite sure. Spanish and Italian share some similarities, especially in their phonology, in this respect, Portuguese is a bit far from both. But I believe that when it comes to vocabulary or syntax, Portuguese is fairly similar to Italian as well as Spanish is.

Kind regards

Pete from Peru
Guest   Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:24 pm GMT
Brazilian Portuguese: Sou eu quem falo/digo isso pra você.
European Portuguese: ... eu te digo

Brazilian Portuguese: Eu vou aí na sua casa.
European Portuguese: Vem lá

European Portuguese: a casa do Marcos, uma amiga da Maria

Italian: Noi si va
Brazilian Portuguese: A gente vai
European Portuguese: Nós vamos / A gente vai (slang when it means we go but not when it means the people go)
Sergio   Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:54 pm GMT
Hi Observant,

>>Hey all of you I'm just pointing the similarities between Italian and Portuguese. There lots of simolarities between the two as much as in Spanish and Portuguese.

No problem, but I was just curious about in WHAT are It and Pt syntax closer than Sp and Pt or Sp and It.

>>I noticed that Spanish people wanted to bring the Protuguese people under their dominance that they don't want Portuguese to be likened to its other sister languages like Italian. After all their mother is Latin.

I have noticed this too, and I shame on them all, even if I am myself a Spanish speaker. Portuguese is a beautiful language, with a huge capacity of expression, unique grammatical traits and a very extended literature.

>>Why can't you accept a fact?

In my particular question, I could accept a fact, if you provide me some examples on the syntactic similarities which are allegedely closer when comparing It and Pt. I am not refuting anything, nor asking anything else.

>>Do you really know ehat SYNTAX means?

Put in simple words, yes: the order of the words in a sentence or a group of sentences. The rules of traffic for the words in a language.

Again, I am not trying to start a useless argument. Let's keep it a healthy exchange of ideas for both sides. This is what a forum is intended for.
Guest   Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:09 pm GMT
Brazilian Portuguese: Eu te digo.
European Portuguese: Eu te digo.

Brazilian Portuguese: Eu vou na sua casa.
European Portuguese: Eu vou na sua /tua casa.

Brazilian Portuguese: Nós vamos / A gente vai
European Portuguese: Nós vamos / A gente vai
Guest   Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:10 pm GMT
Brazilian Portuguese: Eu te digo.
European Portuguese: Eu te digo.

Brazilian Portuguese: Eu vou na sua casa.
European Portuguese: Eu vou a sua /tua casa.

Brazilian Portuguese: Nós vamos / A gente vai
European Portuguese: Nós vamos / A gente vai

Vengo li da te. Does this mean I am going to your house in Italian?
Sally   Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:43 pm GMT
Um what does lexical mean?
Guest   Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:13 am GMT
"Lexical" is the adjectival form of "lexicon", which means "the vocabulary of a language".