Which American actress does the best fake English accent?

superdavid   Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:33 am GMT
Seriously, Meryl Streep is the best for imitating any kinds of accent!

She can mimic Irish accent, Southern accent, fancy Boston accent, Indian accent, Danish accent, Polish accent perfectly!!

That's all...
Shatnerian   Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:06 am GMT
Is it just me or was Dick van Dyke's accent in "Mary Poppins" the best? No, I'm joking, but yes, it always going to be hard to fool the people with doing an accent that is completely different from your own. However, as an American, I would say that in general, people from the U.K. and Australia are better at doing North American accents compared to the other way around. Of course, there are certain words that can easily give them away.

My friends and I experiment with trying different accents. Apparently, my generic British accent sounds like someone from India trying to speak with too much of an RP accent, and my Southern American accent sounds almost Irish. I can't seem to shake the Midwesternisms from my voice when I attempt to experiment with different regional accents.

As for non-Americans doing American accents, I would have to say that Nicole Kidman, Naomi Watts, and Hugh Laurie all do a very good job. However, they all tend to sound as though they are from California. An example of a fading accent would be Portia de Rossi in 'Arrested Development'. Whenever she said the words "anything" and "everything", you could easily tell that she was Australian.

For the record, Paltrow would probably get my vote for the best American attempt at a British accent.
flummoxedgirl   Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:00 pm GMT
Kendra, Kate Winslet is English. :p

And I agree with superdavid. :) Meryl Streep has a knack for accents. :)
Carlos   Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:18 pm GMT
angelina jolie does the best British accent. I discovered her in the roll of Lora Croft. When I discovered that she was American I couldn't believe it. It was terrible! I was devastated!