The Analysis of An Essay!

Sarah   Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:17 am GMT
Hello my friends,

How are you all?....I hope you are well...

I would like to know the steps to analysis an essay literary.

Thanks in advance;)
Andy   Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:51 pm GMT
Hello Sarah, where are you from?.
Sarah   Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:17 pm GMT
Hello Andy,
I am from Saudi Arabia ;). I guess you are British, aren't you?!
Josh Lalonde   Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:00 am GMT
The most important part of analyzing an essay is to find the thesis: what is the point of the essay? This will usually appear in the first paragraph. Then you can find the authors points in support of his thesis. These will often be listed in a topic sentence shortly after the thesis. The rest of the essay will be an expansion of these points, with proof, citations, sub-points, argument, etc. This is a semi-standard academic essay format; essays in magazines, for example, may be quite different in structure.
I've been taking Arabic since September, and I have to say that I like it a lot. It's certainly very tricky for English-speakers, but I like the challenge. Anyway, ilaa-l-liqaa'.
Sarah   Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:06 pm GMT
Hello Josh Lalonde,

Have we met here before?....Are you that Guest I know?
Any way, thanks for your reply, but i did mean all the kinds of literature( essay, fiction, etc)!!

I do love <<<ilaa-l-liqaa>>>;)
hardly could know it ;)
Honestly, Good job. GO ON.
Bye Bye..
Guest   Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:31 pm GMT
يلا - م - السنة
Josh-Arabic-soul   Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:33 pm GMT
اهم جزء في التحليل مقاله هو ايجاد الرسالة : ما هو الهدف من المقاله؟ وهذا يظهر عادة في الفقره الاولى. ثم يمكنك أن تجد اصحاب نقاط دعم اطروحته. هذه غالبا ما تكون قائمة في اي موضوع بعد الجمله الفرضيه. بقية المقاله سوف يتم التوسع في هذه النقاط ، وثائق اثبات الفرعية نقاط الجدل ، الخ وهو نصف المستوى الاكاديمي مقالة الشكل ؛ المقالات في المجلات ، مثلا ، قد يكون مختلفا تماما في الهيكل. اي نعمل أخذ العربية منذ ايلول / سبتمبر ، وعلي ان اقول انني مثله الكثير. وهو بالتأكيد صعب جدا للمتحدثين بالانكليزية ، لكن احب التحدي.
Josh Lalonde   Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:29 am GMT
I just want to make it clear that the above message was not from me; I don't know that much Arabic! No Sarah, I don't think I've ever talked to you on here before, and I always sign my name (unless I forget), so you must be thinking of someone else.
Analyzing fiction is somewhat different (and a lot harder). Some of the principles are the same though. First, figure out why the author wrote the book, or what is the point of the book? This is called the theme. There is no one right answer as to what the theme is; it is up to your interpretation. With that theme in mind, you can then go throw the rest of the story and find support for your claim. If you say that the book is about how childhood experiences affect our adult lives, for example, you could list some parallels between events in the characters' childhoods and adult lives. You can also focus more on one particular character and his or her motivations, conflicts, feelings, etc. Explain why he did something, what effect it had, how he felt about it or anything else that is relevant. Hope that helps.
Sarah   Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:26 am GMT
Hello Josh Lalonde,
<<Analyzing fiction is somewhat different (and a lot harder)Yes, it helps me, of course. Thanks so much;) >>
You are completely right..
What you said is as whole idea, but I need analysis of literary aspect.
Thanks in advance...

Hint for Arabic soul,
I doubt you do know Arabic!! I could just understand little bit!!!
Sarah   Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:51 am GMT
One more question,
If I want to analysis any piece, I must read the whole one and translate many words( in my case, non -native speaker), and that takes long hours( the piece is mostly about 11 pages). What should I do to make it easy and interesting?
Arabic soul   Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:00 pm GMT
<<I doubt you do know Arabic!! I could just understand little bit!!! >>

That was translated by a google translator (whch was Josh's first post in English). I am glad you do know Arabic. :) I just wanted to check whether Arabic alphabets could be appeared on this forum or nor. It was all in good fun.