puns

leena   Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:47 am GMT
( it's definitely the show to watch out for. Puns apart, the annual Basel Watch show is every watch enthusiasts dream)
this is a statement in one magazine.
my qustion is what does (puns apart) means in this expression?
Guest   Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:13 am GMT
Jokes(puns) aside. This is a serious statement.
leena   Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:23 am GMT
what do you mean guest?
Guest   Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:47 am GMT
Puns apart means that the following statement does not involve jokes, and supposed to be a serious statement. It is a dream of every enthusiast that he or she wants to watch "the annual Basal Show."

Does it make sense to you?
leena   Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:54 am GMT
yes guest it does make sense now, thanx a lot

i wonder why those great pple like you dont show their names?lol
Guest   Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:05 pm GMT
Because leena great people dont go after for seeking attention. It is the other way around. On a serious note, it is too much to write my user name as well as "I hate spam" unless I am paid for my service I will keep my identity this way.
Jim   Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:22 pm GMT
The pun in this case would be the double use of "watch".
Jim   Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:25 pm GMT
P.S. I'm not after attention either: I'm here as a purely procrastinative measure.
leena   Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:53 am GMT
well guest i'll call you my superguest if you like that ..

jim is that another meaning of the word PUN?
Eric   Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:22 am GMT
<<I'm here as a purely procrastinative measure>>

LOL, you have company! :-)
Guest   Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:11 pm GMT
<<well guest i'll call you my superguest if you like that .. >>

leena. call me superking... as king thingy still exists in Saudi Arabia along with UK.
Jim   Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:29 am GMT
"... is that another meaning of the word PUN?" not really. The meaning I have in mind is a "joke or type of wordplay in which similar senses or sounds of two words or phrases, or different senses of the same word, are deliberately confused."* So what the author is saying is that he intends no pun by using the word "watch" twice with different meanings.

*http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pun
Jim   Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:25 am GMT
Guest   Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:10 pm GMT
leena   Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:17 am GMT
well superking i think you're right .. and how i'm gonna know now u r that superking again? look at that guest below. is that you or another super one?!

i want you to add ur name because once i use the word PUNS APART you will come to my mind immediately..your name will be connected to this phrase.. i will say for example that (superking) in antimoon website have helped me to know the meaning of this word. right? lol