usage of "graduation ceremony"

Tweener   Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:03 pm GMT
Why it's incorrect to say

"it's his bachelor/master graduation ceremony?"

Does it sounds strange to you native speaker?

If "bachelor/master" must go in this sentence, how could I specify the graduation ceremony will grant him a bachelor/master degree?

And is there any specific usage for this word "graduation ceremony?"
Tweener   Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:01 pm GMT
I really need someone to help me out on this please, any suggestions would be much appreciated! :)
Guest   Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:15 pm GMT
"It's his graduation ceremony" sounds more natural and removes any redundancy from the sentence. Graduation already means that " you are either completing your Bachelors or Masters degree" so it should not be stated again. However, if you still feel necessary to mention it then, you can say it like this:
He's done his masters/bachelors. It's his graduation ceremony.
SpaceFlight   Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:00 pm GMT
<<"It's his graduation ceremony" sounds more natural and removes any redundancy from the sentence. Graduation already means that " you are either completing your Bachelors or Masters degree" so it should not be stated again. However, if you still feel necessary to mention it then, you can say it like this:
He's done his masters/bachelors. It's his graduation ceremony.>>

"Graduation ceremony" in the United States also can refer to the celebration occurring after one has completed high school, in which case it may be necessary to specify what kind of graduation ceremony you're talking about. In this case, I'd say "it's his college graduation ceremony" rather than *"it's his masters/bachelors graduation ceremony". "college graduation ceremony" sounds more like something a native speaker would say.
tweener   Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:26 pm GMT
thanks!
peace   Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:02 pm GMT
so, what about the "graduation ceremony" for elementary school or junior high's students?
SpaceFlight   Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:10 pm GMT
<<so, what about the "graduation ceremony" for elementary school or junior high's students?>>

We don't use the word "graduation" to describe the completion of elementary or junior high school.
Darren   Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:04 pm GMT
graduation is for completion of advanced education.
Delia   Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:24 pm GMT
peace: <<so, what about the "graduation ceremony" for elementary school or junior high's students?>>

SpaceFlight: <<We don't use the word "graduation" to describe the completion of elementary or junior high school.>>

We sure did at my elementary and junior high schools. We had an elementary school graduation (or commencement) ceremony and a junior high school graduation ceremony, although, unlike in our high school graduation ceremony, we didn't wear caps and gowns, just our good clothes.

Our junior high graduation was like a fashion show because it was the time of year when all us pre-teens would get our parents to plunk down lots of money for the most stylish clothes so that we could out-glam each other on the ceremonial "runway". LOL! Such silly kids we were.
Darren   Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:10 am GMT
cute