Pronouncing Spanish "v" - I need help!!!

JR   Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:38 am GMT
I agree with Rodrigo.

I was taught to distinguish between both in Mexico and in Los Angeles, CA. And I purposely do to avoid spelling troubles. But it seems that nowaways that's not being taught in Mexico anymore. Its not uncommon to see written slang where the Vs have been replaced with Bs.

And these differences are not generally caught by the ear in every day speech. I too did not know there was supposedly no difference between Spanish B and V until I found out on my own. Once I started paying attention I noticed that people all around me were saying 'biernes' and 'bagabundo'

And just like there are those that say 'bagabundo' , i've also noticed people who say 'vagavundo' with both letters as a V sound. People who do that consitently are more rare to me though.
Just a Guest, this time   Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:52 pm GMT
My SIL (a native speaker of Spanish) tells me that she distinguishes between b and v.
Just a Guest, this time   Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:55 pm GMT
My SIL is not from Spain or Mexico, so there are still places where people distinguish these sounds in speech.
Gabriel   Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:59 am GMT
<<My SIL (a native speaker of Spanish) tells me that she distinguishes between b and v.>>
I'm curious, where is she from?
Just a Guest, this time   Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:35 am GMT
Central America.