LL, how do you pronounce it followed by an i ?

Question about Spanish   Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:06 am GMT
As in rollizo ?

Doesnt ll sound like li?

Roliizo?

rolizo as if it were a normal l?

???

I am curious
Gabriel   Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:37 am GMT
The pronunciation of "ll" varies in the Spanish-speaking world. I normally pronounce "ll" as [S] (for those who do not know X-SAMPA, this is the sound in English "show") so for me, the word 'rollizo' [roSiso] would be very different from (hypothetical) 'rolizo' [roliso]. Others use different pronunciations [j\] [L] but they would all, I think, distinguish between the pairs.
Sergio   Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:44 am GMT
Hi Question about Spanish,

As Gabriel pointed out, there are different ways of pronounce this letter. As a Mexican, I tell you that we pronounce it like in a great part of Latinamerica (excepting Argentina, Uruguay, and some areas of Chile as far as I know) and part of Spain: as a nonvocalic English 'j', and a little bit harder. This is known as "yeismo".

The original sound, though, which is still heared in some regions of Spain, is the same as in English 'million', Italian 'gli', Portuguese 'Amarelho'.

I would say that the most widespread is the 'j' version. We like a lot the sound other two though!!!! especially among the Southamerican girls. ;)
Gabriel   Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:24 am GMT
I should have mentioned I'm Uruguayan. Sergio is probably right, the [j\] sound is widespread. As I said I generally use a voiceless sound, [S] but in Uruguay and Argentina, a voiced one, [Z] is also common.
Pete   Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:08 am GMT
Hello guys.

I pronounce it as [j\]. Sometimes a bit stronger. And I'm from the central coast of Peru.

I don't know if you've heard this one, but in some places in Peru, and in my hometown there's a sort of working class accent in which they pronounce "rollizo" different. I don't really know why they drop the [j\] sound there when you have 'll', but when there's a dipthong beggining in 'i' they sometimes interpolate a [j\]. Look, in this accent, the following words would be:

rollizo [ro-'i-so]
silla ['si-a]
bolsillo [bol-'si-o]

and in turn, these other ones would be:

sandia [san-'di-j\a] or [san-'di-ja]
policia [po-li-'si-j\a] or [po-li-'si-ja]

I've realised the first fenomenon is more common. So that's it. Do you have that feature in your dialect, or do you know about any accent that does?

Kind regards

Pedro de Peru
Kendra   Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:11 am GMT
''The original sound, though, which is still heared in some regions of Spain, is the same as in English 'million', Italian 'gli', Portuguese 'Amarelho'. ''

There is no word like 'Amarelho' in Portuguese.
In Brazilian Portuguese (90% of speakers of Portuguese language) LH can have 4 possible pronunciations:

1. a sequence [l+y] (the most used nowadays: filha [filya], daughter, milho [milyw] corn) [in new words -lh- is spelled as -ilia- mobilhar becomes mobiliar)

2. [l] (y is silent: in -lhinho, -lhinha: filhinho [filij~w, filij~a]; and in front of the open E: Guilerme [gil'Ehmi]; in some other words lhi [li] )

3. [j] (rural pronunciation, objected to; unlike in Latin American Spanish)
Kendra   Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:15 am GMT
[y] (American usage) = [j] (IPA) [the same sound]

4. the fourth pronunciation is palatalized L (like Italian gl) but it is old-fashioned only old people use it. this one is the only pronunciation used in Portugal

Most Brazilians merge júlio [male name] and julho [july]; both are ['dZuljw]
Kendra   Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:16 am GMT
correction:
Most Brazilians merge júlio [male name] and julho [july]; both are ['Zuljw]

PS
So, We can say Latin American pronunciation is pretty different when LL/LH is concerned. (compared to European pronunciation)
Sergio   Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:30 pm GMT
Hi Kendra,

Sorry, I picked the wrong word. The right spelling is 'amarelo'. Thank you for pointing it out. In Mexico we read often the bad spelling perhaps because of Brazilians who don't write properly. It surely will happen the other way around as well with Spanish words in Brazil ;)

When I was comparing the 'million' pronounciation of 'LL' in Spanish, I was thinking of the same pronounciation in Portuguese. Now, it is evident that this pronounciation is losing momentum in the Portuguese speaking world as well.
Zen   Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:50 pm GMT
wou !!There are many different accents in Brazil. How difficult is it for everybody to understand the regional variations? I was told that the vocabulary can vary a lot depending of the region. There are regional dictionaries, although I think if one does not use regionalisms people do understand each other without difficulty.
Guest   Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:35 pm GMT
How difficult is it for everybody to understand the regional variations?

Not really, Brazilian Portuguese is pretty united, just like American English. Regional differences include mostly pronunciation (different accent) and regional lexic, but the syntax and morphology is the same. I would love us to be able to understand Continental Portuguese better, but that's not possible, since they chose to closest, and the most muffled accent of all (Lisbon Portuguese) as their standard accent. We find it very difficult to understand because of its clipped (non pronounced) vowels and fast rhythm. On the other hand, accents of Northern Portugal (close to Spanish border) are easy to understand, like Galician and Spanish.
Alex   Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:19 am GMT
Guest you are contradicting yourself. It seems you have a problem with the Lisbon accent, which, by the way, is not the most muffled accent. I do not know how someone can say that one does not understand Continental Portuguese because they CHOSE a certain accent as the standard accent. It is well known that there are many accents in Portugal. So dear, don't make yourself look silly, or green with envy, because it is what you look. You are a Spanish speaker of course (or a wanna be) that pretends to be Brazilian and you think that people are idiot. How is it that a Brazilian would understand Spanish better if Spaniards also speak very fast and even Latin Americans Spanish speakers some times have difficulties in understanding them. And some times more than Brazilians have understanding Portuguese people? You do not need to answer! I am not interested in brainless answers. Instead of complaining: "I do not understand Continental Portuguese accent "just say: I AM TOO STUPID TO UNDERSTAND THE CONTINENTAL PORTUGUESE ACCENT.
Believe me, it is what everybody thinks of you. If you do not understand an accent of your own language but you understand a different language better than your own language, you have to be a joke
Don Rodrigo   Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:43 pm GMT
I am a Spanish speaker from Latin America and I do NOT understans continental Spanish. The way they speak in Madrid is different from the way they speak in Barcelona, can you believe that? They speak so fast and with a funny accent. But I can easily undestand Italian. I think that Italian is easier to understand than Continental Spanish for any Latin American. Italian is also easier to understand than Mexican Spanish, although Mexicans are easier to understand than Spaniards, if they do not speak coloquialisms and change their accent to a more neutral one.

If all Spanish speakers had an Italian accent it would be easier to understand, and if they also spoke with their hands who would care about their accents?
Guest   Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:33 pm GMT
<<As in rollizo ?
Doesnt ll sound like li?
Roliizo? >>

No, "LL" is differente from "L". In a "standard" Spanish there is not difference between "LL" and "Y" except when "Y" goes alone which means "AND". f.e. "tu y yo" (you and I). If you know how to pronounce "Yo" (I), you can pronounce "LL".

As I said in other comments, it's hard to find an exact equivalent in English if there is one. It's more or less like the sound of "J" in the word "John" but much softer, without the aspiration.
Aldo   Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:34 pm GMT
Ooops! that was mine.