help to check mistakes (1) - Dean

Dean   Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:22 am GMT
Hi, I wrote somthing today and appreciate if you can give me some advice on my english writting and please rephrase the sentences if you think you can make it better. Thank you.

Topic: "What steps did you take in determining which investment banking
firms you applied to? (up to 90 words)"

My writting: "
I enjoy studying engineering, but when it came to career choice I
feel more challenged by the financial way of thinking. I began
researching and gained information via the carers service at
university and spoke to various staff in company presentations. I
found people who work in ABC are most open, professional and
intelligent. I learned even more about the company and the day to
day praticalities of working, I was impressed by the dynamic jobs
and innovation spirit within the firm.
"
Guest   Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:52 am GMT
"when it came to career choice"

when it comes to career choice

"I began researching and gained information via the carers service at university"

I began researching via the careers service at university and learned (a lot of) information

I feel that you should qualify how much information you learned because it sounds funny to just say that you learned information.

"I found people who work in ABC"

I would say "I found that people who work at ABC". It doesn't sound good to me without using "that", and you work at companies, not in them.

"innovation spirit"

spirit of innovation
Lazar   Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:11 am GMT
I agree with what Guest said, and I would add that I think you should say, "I found that people who work at ABC are very open, professional, and intelligent."
Dean   Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:30 pm GMT
I'd like to thanks for help given above.
(1): "I began researching and gained information via the careers service at university and spoke to various staff in company presentations."

I agree with the idea of quantify how much info I gained, but I didn't mean to limit my research only to career service, I'd like to say I gained lots of info by researching, spoke to people and going to careers service, there are 3 steps.

Shall I say "I began researching, spoke to various staff in company presentations and gained in lots of information via the careers service at university."

(2): I wanted to say ABC people are most open, ... among other companies. Is "most" not be able to adequate explain my meaning?

Thanks
Lazar   Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:34 pm GMT
<<Is "most" not be able to adequate explain my meaning?>>

If you want it to be superlative, then it should be something like, "I found that people who work at ABC are the most open, professional, and intelligent in the field." When you're using a superlative, you always have to say "the most".
Lazar   Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:43 pm GMT
<<Shall I say "I began researching, spoke to various staff in company presentations and gained in lots of information via the careers service at university.">>

That sentence is fine, except it should be <...gained lots of...> instead of <...gained in lots of...>.

And one other thing just occurred to me. If you're writing for a British audience, then the serial comma should be omitted here: <...the most open, professional and intelligent...>