THOUGHT in Southern American English

Josh Lalonde   Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:13 pm GMT
I've noticed that the THOUGHT set in Southern English has a different realisation than in the rest of the US, more like [AU] than [Q]. I think I remember reading that this only occurs before voiceless consonants; is that true? Also, does anyone know whether this developed from earlier [O:] or is it descended directly from Middle English [au]?
SpaceFlight   Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:10 pm GMT
<<I've noticed that the THOUGHT set in Southern English has a different realisation than in the rest of the US, more like [AU] than [Q]. I think I remember reading that this only occurs before voiceless consonants; is that true?>>

No, it occurs in all positions for those in the Southern U.S. that distinguish THOUGHT and LOT.

<<Also, does anyone know whether this developed from earlier [O:] or is it descended directly from Middle English [au]?>>

What I've read suggests the former. I've read that it was part of the Southern shift that shifted [O:] to [AU], while [OI] became monophthongized to [O:].
Josh Lalonde   Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:07 am GMT
<<What I've read suggests the former. I've read that it was part of the Southern shift that shifted [O:] to [AU], while [OI] became monophthongized to [O:].>>

That seemed more likely to me, but it's interesting that this sound has developed from a diphthong to a monophthong and back to a diphthong again. From observations, /OI/ seems to be [O@] rather than [O:], but I suppose you would know better than me. What books have you been reading? I haven't really been able to find much about Southern English.