Argentinian Spanish

Peter   Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:06 pm GMT
I've heard that Argentinian Spanish is Span. with an Italian accent. Any explanations?
Gabriel   Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:59 pm GMT
Much to the dismay to its smaller neighbours, Argentina is a big country with many different regions. It is the accent of Buenos Aires and its surrounding areas that has been influenced the most by Italian intonation patterns and a few terms directly derived from it. I'm not sure people from Mendoza or Misiones sound in any way like Italians. Furthermore, among the educated (even in Buenos Aires), these exaggerated Italian patterns are not heard nearly as often as among the less educated.
Andrew   Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:14 pm GMT
Sure...I've heard Argentinian Spanish sounds much like Italian...most visitors mistake it for Italian! I also heard that the "s" is not pronounced as much. Heck, I heard it is not called Spanish over there! Is it Castilano?

All the more reason to visit Argentina (Buenos Aires I heard is called the "Paris of the West"!)
Aldvm   Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:38 am GMT
"Sure...I've heard Argentinian Spanish sounds much like Italian...most visitors mistake it for Italian! I also heard that the "s" is not pronounced as much. Heck, I heard it is not called Spanish over there! Is it Castilano?"

I agree. More reasons to learn italian and not portuguese.

"All the more reason to visit Argentina (Buenos Aires I heard is called the "Paris of the West"!)"

I suppose in a way, besides, Uruguay would be like Milan.
Guest   Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:16 pm GMT
"Sure...I've heard Argentinian Spanish sounds much like Italian...most visitors mistake it for Italian! I also heard that the "s" is not pronounced as much. Heck, I heard it is not called Spanish over there! Is it Castilano? "

The Spanish language is Castilian (castillano).
From Spain   Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:45 pm GMT
castellano not castillano although it is from Castilla
Gabriel   Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:23 pm GMT
<<I heard it is not called Spanish over there! Is it Castilano?" >>

The choice of 'castellano' vs. 'español' for the language has nothing to do with the supposed differences between Argentinian Spanish and the other variants. Argentinians generally prefer to call the language 'castellano', but they would apply this term to what they speak, to what Spaniards speak, to what Colombians speak, etc. I myself use 'español' but I guess that since more than one language is spoken in Spain, 'castellano' is more accurate.

<<I also heard that the "s" is not pronounced as much.>>

This is what happens with 's' in River Plate Spanish: At the beginning of words, or before vowels (and usually when it is word-final) it is regular [s]. Before consonants, however, it is realized as [h]. When it is word-final, it may be realized as [s] in careful speech, [h] in rapid, casual speech, or omitted altogether.
Franco   Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:35 pm GMT
Аргентинский вариант испанского языка был создан для геев и убийц.

Мы все знаем, что в Аргентине большинство людей занимается убийством и вымогательством.

Печально, я знаю. Как печально, что аргентинцы хотят походить на русских.
Unknown Author   Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:21 am GMT
Argentina and Chile has been influenced by other European countries ,not just Spanish.
Guido   Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:02 am GMT
Hi all!
It's not so much as spanish spoken with an italian accent rather than the mannerisms of Argentinians resemble that of Italians
Josh Lalonde   Tue May 01, 2007 3:18 am GMT
How is the name Jose Luis Borges pronounced in Argentinian Spanish? Is it like this [xoze luis BO4GEs]?
furrykef   Tue May 01, 2007 6:57 am GMT
I don't really know any details about Argentine pronunciation, but surely the "g" in "Borges" is a soft "g" (same as the "j")?
furrykef   Tue May 01, 2007 6:58 am GMT
Oh, and Borges's first name is Jorge, not José :)
Guest   Tue May 01, 2007 6:59 pm GMT
<<Oh, and Borges's first name is Jorge, not José :)>>

Oops, so it is...
Vincent   Tue May 01, 2007 7:28 pm GMT
Gabriel, dijiste que las personas educadas no tienen ese acento medio italiano trucho que usan las clases màs populares. Me podrias dar ejemplos? Es que esas personas educadas hablan como la Radio Continental o es otro tipo de acento? Y Néstor Kirchner? ya noté que tiene un acento extraño, distinto del de los porteños. Me gustaria hablar con el acento del noroeste de la Argentina pero no encuentro "modelos" ya que en la radio de Salta o de Jujuy es como si los locutores fuesen puros porteños.
Oye, es que las personas educadas pronuncian todas las "s"?