Surround

Philip   Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:34 pm GMT
<<So in Jamaica:

car [kya:r\]
cart [kya:t]
carter [kya:ta] >>

Jamaican's have a diphthong [ya:] for their "ah" phoneme?
Josh Lalonde   Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:19 pm GMT
<<Jamaican's have a diphthong [ya:] for their "ah" phoneme?>>

Sorry, that was a mis-spelling on my part. I was writing X-SAMPA, but thinking of Jamaican Creole spelling. Just change all the [y] for [j] and it should be correct. It's often considered to be a new consonatal phoneme /k_j/ realized as [kj]. For most Jamaicans, LOT and TRAP have merged to /a/, but before the TRAP vowel, /k/ and /g/ become /k_j/ and /g_j/. So 'cap' and 'cop' are distinguished by their initial consonant [kjap] [kap]. I think the palatized forms occur before the PALM/BATH/START/CLOTH set as well.
Philip   Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:26 pm GMT
<<Sorry, that was a mis-spelling on my part. I was writing X-SAMPA, but thinking of Jamaican Creole spelling. Just change all the [y] for [j] and it should be correct. It's often considered to be a new consonatal phoneme /k_j/ realized as [kj]. For most Jamaicans, LOT and TRAP have merged to /a/, but before the TRAP vowel, /k/ and /g/ become /k_j/ and /g_j/. So 'cap' and 'cop' are distinguished by their initial consonant [kjap] [kap]. I think the palatized forms occur before the PALM/BATH/START/CLOTH set as well.>>

That's interesting. How do you pronounce "fjord"? I say /fjO:d/, but have heard /fi:.O:d/.
Philip   Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:35 pm GMT
Likewise, how do you pronounce "few", "new", "pew" and "huge"? I have /fu:/, /nu:/, /pu:/ and /hu:d_Z/.
Josh Lalonde   Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:47 am GMT
fjord [fjor\d]
few [fj}]
new [nu] or [niu]
pew [pj}]
huge [Cj}d_Z]

'New' alternates for me between yod-dropping and -preserving. The yod form with [iu] is more formal. Are you from Norfolk or thereabouts? You seem to have complete yod-dropping, whereas I only have it variably before coronals.
Lazar   Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:25 pm GMT
That kind of yod-dropping occurs in Suffolk too. Has anybody seen the travel show "Globe Trekker"? One of the hosts of that show, Ian Wright ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Wright_%28traveller%29 ), from Ipswich, seems to have uniform yod-dropping after consonants. For example, he pronounces "museum" as [m}:"zi:@m], and "beautiful" as ["b}:?@fo].
Philip   Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:25 pm GMT
Yes, I'm from Norfolk.
Philip   Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:10 pm GMT
What about "pure", "cure" etc? For me not only does the [j] disappear, but the vowel also becomes a central vowel [3:] so "pure" and "purr" are homophonous for me.
Josh Lalonde   Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:19 pm GMT
This is common in North America too, but without yod-dropping (except after coronals). I usually have [3'], but the [u@`] form occurs too. It's more formal, and uncommon in casual speech.

cure [kj3`] or [kju@`]
pure [pj3`] or [pju@`]
purr [p3`]

The word 'lure' is an interesting one, because it has lost its [j], and its pronunciation therefore varies between [lu@`] and [l3`].
Lazar   Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:25 pm GMT
Like you, I have either [3`] or [U@`] in words like "cure, pure, Europe", with [3`] more common in casual speech. I think I usually use [U@`] in "lure, endure", but I think my preference is for [3`] in "during".
Michelle   Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:21 am GMT
I always pronounce "cure" and "pure" /kj3`/ and /pj3`/. What about "every"? When it's by itself, I pronounce it [Evr\i], but when it's in compounds like "everything" it's more like [3`].
Lazar   Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:33 am GMT
I pronounce "every" the same whether it's alone or in compounds:

every ["Evr\i]
everything ["Evr\iTIN]
everybody ["Evr\i%bV4i]
Travis   Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:27 am GMT
I have three realizations of "every", both independently and as a morpheme in larger words, which are ["E:vr\i:], ["E:vRi:], and ["E:Ri:]. The first two are just due to free variation between [r\] and [R] after labials, and show up more in more careful speech and when "every" is used independently, where I tend to use the latter one more in less careful speech and when "every" is a morpheme in larger words (aside from a few larger words such as "everybody", even though in the case of "everybody" that's likely due to it not being a normal part of my vocabulary).
Josh Lalonde   Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:39 pm GMT
I sometimes elide the /r/ in 'every' in compounds, probably because of my [v\] realisation assimilating to the preceeding [v]

every ["Evr\i]
everything ["Evv\iTIN]
everybody ["EvibV4i]

I have a question more connected to the thread: how do you pronounce 'interrupt'? This is mostly for Lazar; do you have [@`] because this is from 'inter-' or do you have [@] because it's before a vowel?
Philip   Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:08 pm GMT
interrupt - [I~?@P\V?]

<<I sometimes elide the /r/ in 'every' in compounds, probably because of my [v\] realisation assimilating to the preceeding [v]

every ["Evr\i]
everything ["Evv\iTIN]
everybody ["EvibV4i]>>

It's interesting that you have [v\] realisation of /r/ as I've never heard of that. My /r/ is rather [P\].