Pronounce "the"

Guest   Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:22 am GMT
I pronounce it [?]. How do you pronounce it?
Josh Lalonde   Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:04 am GMT
I pronounce it [jEs nOu jEs nOu jEs nOu jEs nOu jEs nOu jEs nOu jEs nOu jEs nOu jEs nOu]
Skippy   Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:54 am GMT
i pronounce it like 'thee' before words that start w/ a vowel and like 'thuh' before words that start with a consonant.
Guest   Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:54 am GMT
I pronounce it [aɪ ˈsmeɫ ˈtɹəʊɫz]
Jim   Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:56 am GMT
I find the /D@/ before consonants & /Di:/ before vowels intriguing. Why does it exist? Who follows it? I don't. I normally pronounce it /D@/ whether before a vowel or consonant. I'd only ever pronounce it /Di:/ for emphasis.
Travis   Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:09 am GMT
In careful speech I pronounce "the" as [D@:] when unstressed and [Di:] when stressed. Note that this is not a function of whether it precedes a word starting in a vowel or not. However, in informal speech such are often realized as [d@:] (or [d_d@:]) and [di:] (or [d_di:]), even though many individuals seem to only use [d@:] (or [d_d@:]) and not [di:] (or [d_di:]).

(Note that the above is ignoring assimilation of /D/ to consonants at the ends of preceding words, which results in a while range of realizations including [n_d] for assimilating to nasal consonants and, for some, [s] for assimilating to /s/.)
Travis   Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:11 am GMT
That should be "whole range of realizations" above.
Josh Lalonde   Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:28 am GMT
I have a lot of those assimilations as well. According to the Wikipedia page on Canadian English, this is especially common in Southern Ontario, but I think it's widespread in Ontario at least, and probably most of North America. I generally assimilate [D] in 'the' to any preceeding coronal.
I have the same alternation as Skippy, with [D@] before consonants, and [Di] before vowels.
To the Guest who started this thread: are you from Northern England? From what I've read, definite article reduction is common there.
SpaceFlight   Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:24 pm GMT
<<I find the /D@/ before consonants & /Di:/ before vowels intriguing. Why does it exist?>>

You should also ask why a distinction between "a" and "an" exists. It's similar to that.
Kendra   Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:55 pm GMT
I used /Di:/ in slow speech (before both vowels and consonants).
In fast speech, it's /Di/ before vowels and /D/ before consonants.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:18 pm GMT
At least rappers are consistent - they simply use "da" whatever follows on.
Philip   Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:23 pm GMT
<<To the Guest who started this thread: are you from Northern England? From what I've read, definite article reduction is common there.>>

I'm originally from Norfolk.
Lazar   Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:35 pm GMT
I also make the distinction between preconsonantal [D@] and prevocalic [Di].
Jim   Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:40 pm GMT
In many ways it would be similar to "a" vs. "an" but there are noteable differences. First of all "a" vs. "an" serves to keep there from being one vowel immediately following another whereas /D@/ and /Di:/ both end in vowels. Secondly, "a" & "an" are spelt differently ... just in case we forget (let's not down-play the infulence of spelling lest we end up unable to explain so-called "spelling pronunciations"). Of course, there is the third difference in that it would seem that there would be a fair number of people who don't follow the /D@/-/Di:/ rule.
Josh Lalonde   Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:49 am GMT
Jim, do you have intrusive r after 'the' and before a vowel? For example, is "the end" [D@r\End] for you? (I don't think I've ever heard this before.)