How to learn english well?

Michael   Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:01 pm GMT
I learning english for 11 years (I'm 17) and I don't know how I could speak fluently without translating in my mind. I have got a good vocabulary and I know the most important english grammar rules. What should I do to achieve it? (I read articles, add new words to my supermemo collection and I watch english films). Someone told me: don't bite off than you can chew. I hope he was wrong :)
Guest   Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:27 pm GMT
It is high time for you to stop writing. Spend most of your time on reading and listening activities. It is good to be patient. Let's say, dont speak and write for one whole year. Just read, listen, watch and review words. Then move on to speaking and writing in the language. Your mind is already exposed to copious quantities of input during your first year of learning that will act as a spring-board for you to write and speak articulately.

Rewritten:

I have been learning English for 11 years. I'm 17 now. I don't know how I can speak fluently without translating sentences in my mind. I have got a good vocabulary level. Moreover, English grammar rules come to me naturally. What should I do to achieve it? (I read articles, add new words to my supermemo collection and I watch English films). Someone told me: don't bite off more than you can chew. I hope he was wrong :)

===
It is good to study one or two hours a day than 10 hours on weekends only. Your mind needs ample rest and space to assimilate things properly. Chewing small bites of a language will give you better results over a long period of time than having a gulp on weekends only :)
FlummoxedGirl   Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:51 am GMT
Talk to native speakers, eventually you will get the hang of it.

I have an Asian friend who speaks English better than English people. Her vocabulary is so vast that one will even wonder if she's a walking dictionary. ;) Kidding aside, when I asked her about her english training, she told me the only thing that she did was to ACTIVELY read, read, read materials. (Check out the grammar, voices, etc.) When she was able to comprehend 100% of those materials, that's that's the time that she worked on her accent. :)

Goodluck. :)
Guest   Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:18 am GMT
FlummoxedGirl

Is your name inspired by your friend's vocabulary level? What does "flummoxed" mean? :)
FlummoxedGirl   Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:09 am GMT
No, LOL. Flummoxed is used to describe someone who's confused. For example, "My mate looked verily flummoxed when I told him I'm pregnant." Some of its synonyms are stumped, baffled, confused, flabbergasted and perplexed (in some cases). :)

In my case, I always come across as someone who's fickle-minded when in fact I'm just usually confused. So as not to be branded by that in my statements here, I decided to use FlummoxedGirl. :p