'We' as second person plural?

Tavorian   Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:35 pm GMT
I heard a waiter a a restaurant use 'we' as a second person plural. He said to the people he was waiting on; "What would we like to drink today?" and obviously was asking them, not himself.

It seems rather odd to me.

Has anybody else heard 'we' used this way?
Guest   Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:50 pm GMT
yes
Lazar   Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:41 pm GMT
Yeah, I've heard that as well. I've also heard things like, "And how are we doing today?"
Guest   Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:57 pm GMT
I guess it's to make the waiter feel like he's part of the group he's serving so they would receive him warmly. "You" instead of "we" there sounds a little more removed but these differences are rather subtle.
Kelly   Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:19 pm GMT
It does sound silly tho'.
Travis   Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:46 pm GMT
>>I guess it's to make the waiter feel like he's part of the group he's serving so they would receive him warmly. "You" instead of "we" there sounds a little more removed but these differences are rather subtle.<<

The thing is that such sounds almost the opposite in coming off as somewhat condescending, even if such may have not been the original intention.
Skippy   Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:30 am GMT
It's meant to make you feel like the waiter is one of your friends, like he's there to hang out with you, but it can come across as a little condescending.
Guest   Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:34 am GMT
>>The thing is that such sounds almost the opposite in coming off as somewhat condescending, even if such may have not been the original intention. <<

The thing is that such depends on how such is said, even if such is perceived by some to be condescending, most will find such agreeable.
16AL   Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:21 pm GMT
My own experience with waiters who use the "we" approach is that it is highly idiosyncratic: some waiters have the personality to pull it off but those who don't can sound quite affected.