English is an easy language but ...

JLK   Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:14 am GMT
To !:

1.) The pronunciation is more chaotic than languages like french? LOL

2.) When properly spoken, English is one of the most pleasant sounding languages in the world. Other than french and italian, it is unrivaled in my oppinion. I don't understand how could say german is prettier! Mind you, this is comming from someone who is very fond of the german language. I like german because of its harsh qualities...As far as contributions to literature, you are bloody mad. No other language has made such a contribution to literature.

3.) English is the most modern and developed language in the world. Considering that the english speaking world dominates in every area of science, economics and politics I couldn't think of a better language to express "complex circumstances".

To foreign English student: Yes, italian does dominate in musical terminology. However as a violinist and pianist, I can tell you French and German terminology is very common, particularly in romantic era music. As for your statement regarding the language of art, architecture and literature, you obviously don't know that much about those three areas.
buttholesurfer   Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:44 am GMT
1.) Ass

2.) Cock

3.) Balls

But on a serious note:

FUCK!!
Anti-Snobism   Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:11 am GMT
<<1.) The pronunciation is more chaotic than languages like french? LOL>>

Bien plus que tu pourrais le croire, mon pote!
L'anglais a une infinité de diphtongues, de règles à la con, ex: "read" en fonction de la sonorité n'a pas la même valeur dans le temps, know et now, sont souvent confondus.
Le français emploi peu de diphtongues, et contrairement à ce que certains disent le français a bien plus de similarités dans la sonorité avec l'italien ou encore l'espagnol... Il y a juste les voyelles nasales comme au portugais, rendant la prononciation plus rapide, quelques sons comme le /y/, /ə/...
------------------
Much more than you could believe it!
English has an infinity of diphthongs, idiot rules: ex: "read" according to the tone has no same value in the time, "know" and "now", are often confused.
French use few diphthongs, and contrary to the fact that some people say French has much more similarity in the tone with Italian or still Spanish...
There are just the nasal vowels as Portuguese, returning faster the pronunciation, and some sounds as /y/, /ə /...

Exemple: (X sampa)

J'ai marché
/Ze marSe/
I walked
/aI wO:lkt/

T'es ici pour m'emmerder
/Te isi pur ma~mErde/
You're here to annoy me
/Iu 'r@ hE'r tu anOi mI/

Pure beauté
/Pyr Bote/
Pure beauty
/pju'r bjuti/

Tu es si belle, si jolie!
/Ty e si bEl si zoli/
You're so pretty
/jU@'r: s@U p'ritI/

feu
/f@/
fire
/faI@:'r/

rebel
/r@bEl/
rebel
/'rI'@bE5/

Il ira voir mon plan
/Il ira vwar m0~ pla~/
He'll go to see my plan.
/HI'@5 g@U t@U si: maI pl@:n/

<<2.) When properly spoken, English is one of the most pleasant sounding languages in the world. Other than french and italian, it is unrivaled in my oppinion. I don't understand how could say german is prettier! Mind you, this is comming from someone who is very fond of the german language. I like german because of its harsh qualities...As far as contributions to literature, you are bloody mad. No other language has made such a contribution to literature.>>

C'est ton opinion, moi l'anglais je trouve que justement il y a trop de diphtongues, et trops de sifflements: th, s, z, θ...
Oui, je retiens de l'anglais une cacophonie surprenante!
-----------------------
It's your opinion, me English I find that exactly there are too many diphthongs, and excesses of whistlings: th, z, ...
Yes, I retain from English a surprising cacophony!

<<3.) English is the most modern and developed language in the world. Considering that the english speaking world dominates in every area of science, economics and politics I couldn't think of a better language to express "complex circumstances".

To foreign English student: Yes, italian does dominate in musical terminology. However as a violinist and pianist, I can tell you French and German terminology is very common, particularly in romantic era music. As for your statement regarding the language of art, architecture and literature, you obviously don't know that much about those three areas. >>

And what?
Ne parles pas trop si tu ne veux te tromper, et pour ne pas entendre de choses désagréables n'en dis pas.
Tes propos sont infondés à chaque fois, il sont juste basés sur la haine de l'autre.
Josh Lalonde   Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:56 pm GMT
This is such a stupid thread.

1. As usual, when you write 'pronunciation', what you really mean is spelling. The pronunciation of English is just as regular as any other language (within each dialect); what is different about English is that it's spelling system does not unambigously represent that pronunciation. The French system is probably just as irregular when converting speech to writing, but there is generally only one or sometimes two possible ways of reading any given French word, whereas English often has dozens. However, there are reasons for the irregularities in both cases.

2. Whether a language sounds good or not is purely subjective. You obviously don't like English, so you think it sounds bad. Lots of other people would disagree. Besides, there are hundreds of different accents in English, all with their own sounds, so to say that they all sound bad is foolish, since they're all very different from each other.

3. This is one of many linguistic prejudices that linguists have been fighting against for decades. All languages are equally capable of expressing complex ideas, whether they have simple or complex grammar. And as another poster pointed out, English is not 'primitive'; it had a much more complex system of verb conjugation, noun declension, grammatical gender, adjective agreement, etc. but lost them over time. In the arts, or in engineering and architecture, taking something complex and making it simple is usually a good thing.
To say that English isn't useful for the arts is ridiculous. People from all over the world write novels, poetry, and short-stories in English, even when it isn't their first language. Sorry to tell you, English is dominant not only in technical and business fields, but in the arts as well.

I want to make it clear that I'm not putting down any other languages or cultures here. I'm just defending English from the attacks above.
Ant-S   Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:43 pm GMT
Josh, I agree what you said.
I was annoyed, what did you think when i post this message?
Me too, I'm just defending French from the attacks above....
Yes, you're right, i took a very bad opinion about english, forgive me...
WHAT?   Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:40 pm GMT
if we talk about music its production is the most copious followed by Spanish I think.

WHATTTT????!!! AHAHAH!!!
Anti-Snobism   Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:07 pm GMT
Anti-Snobism: I wasn't attacking french. I think french is a beautiful language. However, 9/10 people learning french as a foreign language would agree with me regarding the difficult of its pronunciation.
Guest   Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:27 pm GMT
<<2.) When properly spoken, English is one of the most pleasant sounding languages in the world. Other than french and italian, it is unrivaled in my oppinion. I don't understand how could say german is prettier! Mind you, this is comming from someone who is very fond of the german language. I like german because of its harsh qualities...As far as contributions to literature, you are bloody mad. No other language has made such a contribution to literature.>>

According to www.leo.org, harsh means ''barsch, herb, rauh'' in German. I'm a german native speaker and I never associated my mother tounge with this qualities. As I learnt English, I had the impression of a certain ancient touch of its pronounciation, something you even so could use words like ''herb'' or ''rauh'' to describe. Maybe that has something to do with the use of some sounds like ch in German and th in English -- the ancient touch -- and, as far as I konw, Latin lacks this sounds totally. Latin also is an ancient language, but is more associated with civilisation than other languages. Germanic languages associate with a viking worrier with hammer and helmet.
tgl   Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:05 pm GMT
Germanic languages associate with a viking worrier with hammer and helmet.

That's for you. i associate German with other things
Tiffany   Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:20 pm GMT
If we want to talk about "ch" and "th" being ancients touches from a Germanic tongue, I'd like to point out that to my knowledge, Italian and Spanish (romance languages) have the "ch" sound (there could be more).

Spanish (from Spain) has at least one of the "th" sounds in English.
Guest   Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:23 am GMT
Not to be insulting, but is Spanish associated with ''civilisation'' like Latin is?
Cro Magnon   Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:25 pm GMT
The OP has a point about English spelling/pronounciation. It's often hard to be sure how to pronounce an unknown word.

However, if he is having trouble expressing complex thoughts, the problem isn't the language, it's his command of the language that's the problem. I could say the same thing about Spanish vocabulary not being rich enough to express complex thoughts, but that would also be incorrect.
Guest   Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:38 pm GMT
Exactly, it's almost as if people who have only learnt English to a fairly basic level conclude that, because the grammar is simple, there can be nothing complex about the language. I'm sure if they studied it in more depth with the aim of reaching anywhere near native level, then they would change their minds. People who have studied English for years and have set themselves the goal of fluency don't tend to claim that there is nothing complex about the language, it is the ones who haven't been studying it long, have only reached basic to intermediate level and are nowhere near being able to express themselves as a native speaker would, who usually insist that English is, one extremely easy, and two somehow lacking in the means to express oneself properly.