Spanish Help!

Cerjyo   Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:09 am GMT
Ok... for the native Spanish speakers. Please help me with this "oracíon".

espero que quisieres darme todo.
espero que pensares en mí.

quisieres and pensares are from the future subjunctive witch we do not use anymore but... I would like to know if what I wrote is correct.

I know we can use the present subjunctive but... ah! I don't want to.

This is my only question.
Thanks!
Gabriel   Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:38 am GMT
Cerjyo:
It doesn't sound natural (as you said, this is a form of the subjunctive rarely used nowadays) but I think it's grammatically correct. Even though it would still sound stilted, I'd prefer to use it with a conjunction ("si quisieres darme todo, cuando pensares en mi") or in set phrases ("sea como fuere", etc.).
Cerjyo   Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:00 pm GMT
Yeah, I know it doesn't sound natural. Like I stated, it's not used anymore.
Thanks Gabriel.

Is it just me or does the Future Subjunctive sounds like Italian..??
It doesn't sound like Spanish, sounds very old.
Marc   Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:12 am GMT
The future subjunctive is used, nowadays, in set phrases like Gabriel mentioned. That is to say, "tenga lo que tuviere" & "sea como fuere" etc.

"Is it just me or does the Future Subjunctive sounds like Italian..??
It doesn't sound like Spanish, sounds very old. "

We all have to remember, that Old-spanish was closer to Latin / Italian in vocabulary (i.e. fenestra, portar, cras, cor etc. = ventana, llevar, manana, corazon etc.) It's interesting though, because when Spanish lost words of latin origin, it respectively replaced or changed them with other words of latin origin (e.g. aver = haber), most of which are formal words, except -haber-. Which are mostly used at the *periphery* of the language and while others are used in daily life.

In addition, "Spanish often holds closely to Classical-latin grammar in various places."
Adam S.   Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:34 am GMT
Marc is correct, but it is hardly noticed to the untrained eye. Romanian is more closely related to Latin than any other Romance language.
Marc   Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:51 am GMT
">Romanian is more closely related to Latin than any other Romance language.<"

Okay. That's your opinion.
Cerjyo   Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:27 pm GMT
Really?
Well, that's true, it is your opinion.
elbarto   Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:53 am GMT
First of all it is actually QuisierAs and PensarAs, with an A not E.

Second of all, even though they are correct they do not sound natural, they are in a time that doesn't exist in English, and to be honnest is quite rare to hear it in Spanish, but anyways here is what they literally say (sort of):

"espero que quisieras darme todo."
"espero que pensaras en mí"

"I hope you would wish to give me everything"
"I hope you would think in me."

Don't worry they do look weird in both languages.