Mary, marry, merry

Chris   Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:28 am GMT
I would like to settle this issue ince and for all. I happen to be a native speaker of GenAm and have acquierd RP through personal training (many english people descibe my accent as "posh" when I'm visiting the UK or Europe. I use GA in the US and CAN, RP in the UK and Europe. Based on my own experience, listeniong to both GA and RP speakers, and reading JC Wells' book, I have concluded the following:

GENERAL AMERICAN

Mary ('a' has "trap" vowel while 'y' has "fleece" vowel)
marry (pronounced identically as Mary)
merry ('e' uses the "dress" vowel)

RECEIVED PRONUNCIATION

Mary ('a' takes the "square" vowel whule 'y' takes the "kit" vowel")
marry ('a' with the "trap" vowel and 'y' with "kit" vowel")
merry ('e' takes "dress" vowel while 'y' takes "kit" vowel)

In U-RP final 'y' sometimes pronounced like the 'e' in the French word 'fane' (final 'e' takes grave accent). "Fane" means 'withered' (masculine singular) although the other forms are pronounced the same (although spelled 'fanee', 'fanes', and 'fanees').
Chris   Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:32 am GMT
sorry.. I forgot to do a spell-check. Actually my spelling is excellent. It's my typing that's really bad...

ONCE and for all
ACQUIRED RP
LISTENING
English
while, not whule
Tiffany   Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:20 am GMT
Since GenAm is only roughly defined (if at all), there are many variations in pronunciation.

No one has ever commented that I have an accent, but I pronounce "Mary" like you defined "merry", but "marry" the way you described. There's one difference.
Lazar   Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:37 am GMT
There's also a lot of Americans (perhaps a majority) who pronounce "Mary", "merry", and "marry" all the same, and there are also many Americans (like me) who pronounce all three words differently.
eito(jpn)   Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:21 am GMT
If I remember corectly, Macmillan English Dictionary (of NAE) has treated "Mary", "marry", and "merry" as homophones.
Uriel   Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:29 am GMT
They're all homophones for me, and I'm pretty General American in my speech.
SpaceFlight   Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:51 am GMT
''Mary'', ''marry'' and ''merry'' are all homonyms for me.
eito(jpn)   Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:53 am GMT
Probably same with "vary" and "very". Some peeple distinguish them, and others don't.

What about the first syllable of "paradox" and "parent"?
Lazar   Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:00 am GMT
<<Probably same with "vary" and "very". Some peeple distinguish them, and others don't.>>

I distinguish between those:

vary - [vE@`i]
very - [vEr\i]

<<What about the first syllable of "paradox" and "parent"?>>

The first syllables of those words sound the same for me.

paradox - [p{r\@dQks]
parent - [p{r\@nt]
Uriel   Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:05 am GMT
Vary and very are the same for me, as are the first syllables in parent and paradox.
Guest   Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:06 am GMT
According to http://cfprod01.imt.uwm.edu/Dept/FLL/linguistics/dialect/staticmaps/q_15.html
56.88% pronounce them identically. What does your GenAm accent sound like?!?
eito(jpn)   Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:10 am GMT
Thank you all.
Jim   Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:14 am GMT
For us Aussies the same as what you wrote about RP goes though our accent be different.
Kirk   Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:16 am GMT
<<I would like to settle this issue once and for all.>>

I somehow doubt this will be the end of the topic :) It pops up at least every couple weeks.
Guest   Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:22 am GMT