/wa/ -> /wO/ or /wQ/

Josh Lalonde   Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:12 pm GMT
A lot of words spelled 'wa' or 'wha' have /Q/ or /O/ depending on the dialect. I assume they come from Middle English /wa/, but when did the change happen? Did it occur in all accents? There is also some variability in its application; for example 'water' can be /wAt@`/, /wQt@`/, or /wOt@`/. What do you all have for each of these words:
water
what
watch
swap
wasp
wash
Travis   Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:39 pm GMT
The fundamental sound shift that occurred historically during the new Early New English period is [wa] -> [wQ] (or [wa] -> [wO], depending on whether one presumes [O] -> [Q] to have occurred by this point). Later on, this [wQ] became [wO:] before /r/. Finally, [wQ] did not necessarily consistently get influenced by the father-bother merger in North American English dialects, as many did not shift it to [wA] but rather to [wO:] instead (and this [wO:] later became [wQ] again in many dialects). Also, some cases of [Q], such as in "what" or "of", became [V] rather than [A] in many if not most NAE dialects across the board.

That said, what I have is:

water ["wQ4R=:]
what ["wV?]
watch ["wQtS]
swap ["swQp] or sometimes ["swAp] (possibly under GA influence)
wasp ["wQsp] or sometimes ["wAsp] (possible under GA influence)
wash ["wQS]
Sarcastic Northwesterner   Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:22 am GMT
Well, they all have the same vowel for me except for "what", which is /wVt/.
Lazar   Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:36 pm GMT
Let me preface this by saying that in the class of words including "what, was, from, of, somebody, everybody, nobody, anybody", I use [V].

In all your other examples, I use [Q:]:

water ["wQ:4@`]
watch ["wQ:tS[
swap ["swQ:p]
wash ["wQ:S]
watch ["wQ:tS]

So presumably, all of these words had either /Q/, or /O:/ in the case of "wall" and "water", when the cot-caught merger occurred here in Massachusetts.

In my speech, the only instance of [wA:] is in the word "suave" ["swA:v], along with names like "Guatemala" [%gwA:4@"mA:l@], "Juan" ["wA:n], "Benoit" [bE"nwA:], "Swahili" [swA:"hi:li]. Anything else, like "want", "Wallace", or "Washington", will have [Q:].
Kendra   Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:28 pm GMT
they are all [A] for me, just like all [Al], Paul [pAl] or hot dog [hAt dAg]...
Travis   Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:08 pm GMT
>>In my speech, the only instance of [wA:] is in the word "suave" ["swA:v], along with names like "Guatemala" [%gwA:4@"mA:l@], "Juan" ["wA:n], "Benoit" [bE"nwA:], "Swahili" [swA:"hi:li].<<

Words like these cause some problems for the analysis of the phonology of my dialect, as they generally alternate between [a] and [A] but never have [Q] (except "Guatemala", which rather alternates between [A] and [Q]), while then I have words like "swap", "wasp", and "Guatemala" which alternate between [A] and [Q] but never have [a], while then I have words like "water", "watch", and "wash" which always have [Q]. For the purposes of phonemic analysis, it seems almost as if my dialect has a three-way phonemic distinction of /a/, /A/, and /Q/ which solely exists after /w/.
Travis   Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:20 pm GMT
Just to illustrate...

sweat ["swE?]
swam ["swE{~:m]
suave ["swa:f] or ["swA:f]
swan ["swA~:n] or ["swQ~:n]
swatch ["swQtS]
swore ["swO:R]

Can we say low and low-mid vowel quality distinctions (yes, these are not proper minimal pairs, I know)?
Jim   Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:11 pm GMT
They all have the LOT vowel for me except for "water" which has the THOUGHT vowel.

water ["wo:.t@]
what [wOt]
watch [wOtS]
swap [swOp]
wasp [wOsp]
wash [wOS]
Torsh   Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:47 pm GMT
For the following words I have:

"water" - [wAt@r]
"what" - [wA?]
"watch" - [wAtS]
"swap" - [swAp]