Regional vocabulary differences

GED   Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:26 am GMT
From Connecticut:
First let me tell you; I now reside in Utah, and people out here quite often think I am speaking another language. (-think "Jerry Seinfeld meets Elvis") You really don't have to leave the country to feel like a foreigner! I will post some of the differences I've heard between the two if I can think of them.
CT=soda UT=pop or coke
CT=seltzer (they sell MANY flavors and fill 1/2 an aisle in the supermarket) UT=sodawater (and most places don't sell it, so most people don't even know what it is.)
CT=water fountain UT=drinking fountain
CT=baby stroller UT=carriage
CT=shopping carriage UT=cart or shopping cart
CT=highway UT=freeway
CT=route UT=highway
CT=cellar UT=basement
CT=root cellar UT=cellar
CT=hairstyle UT=do
CT="bought for next to nothing" UT="bought for cheap"
CT="all the way out there" UT="clear out there"
CT=supermarket UT=market or grocery store
CT scone=the english type; dry, biscuit-type, not very sweet, perhaps with currants or chocolate-chips, looks basically like a blob of baked biscuit dough.
UT scone=deep-fried pizza-type dough (like what you get back East at carnivals), to which they spread honey-butter or jam. They actually have scone shops out here!
CT foods I grew up with, that are unheard of in most of Utah=Perogies, Stromboli, Egg Cream, Bacon-Egg-&-Cheese-On-A-Hard-Roll (-weirdly enough, they don't even understand what I'm asking for!!!), Keiser Rolls, Matzah Ball Soup, Potato Latkes, Fasalatta, Most Italian Pastries (like a Neopolitan, Cannoli, Baba Rum -or "rum cake", Anisette Biscotto, Panettone, or a Sfogliatella -or "clam shell pastry") I may truly love this Rocky Mountain state, but I really miss my access to so many foods!
P.S....We could really use a decent New York style pizza parlor (or 10) out here if there are any entrepaneurs out there looking to cash in on a lucrative business! No joke.
Finally, a true language barrier story:
When we were building our home out here in Utah, I noticed our neighbor's home had a HUGE hole in the ground. I asked if they were putting in a pool. They replied "Nope, It's to bury the tramp." Bewildered, I very sheepishly asked, "What'd she do?" I had no idea Utahns called a trampolean a "tramp", and even HAD I known this, if you dig a hole in CT, due to the level of rainfall, it would quickly become a "pool" whether you intended it to or not, so I could not picture a trampolean or really anything else but a swimming pool or a dead body going into a hole in the ground. Yes, you can laugh. It WAS pretty ignorant of me. All's I know is I'm grateful that some naughty girl out there is still alive and my neighbors aren't her killers! ;)
GED   Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:51 am GMT
As far as the autumn/fall thing; I grew up saying- "spring, summer, winter, and fall" because that was how it was taught to us in school (even in that incorrect order) so that kids would remember the seasons. Sometimes they would put it in a rhyme like:
"Spring, summer, winter, and fall
Just four seasons, and that's all."
Kind of corny, but it worked.
As an adult, I migrated over to the word autumn, as it was also a common and acceptable word in Connecticut. It is not at all strange to use the word autumn there, and I enjoyed the sound of the word as well as the picture it brought to mind each time I heard it. To me, fall sounds kind of flat, brown, and dry; whereas autumn sounds cool, crisp, and alive with fiery color. -Perhaps there are just too many poetic people living on the East coast! ;)
Travis   Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:14 am GMT
At least here in Wisconsin, the term "autumn" is simply not used in everyday speech or even formal language, and sounds rather literary to myself. Rather, "fall" is the main word used for such in all contexts here.
GED   Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:31 am GMT
Travis:
I love that people in Wisconsin say "bubbler". It just sound fun! ;) Do the water fountain there "bubble up" from an upward facing spout? Ours curve towards one side and just sort of pour out...kinda boring. Also, do you have odd or ethnic foods there that you can't get outside of your area?
Travis   Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:54 am GMT
>>Travis:
I love that people in Wisconsin say "bubbler". It just sound fun! ;) Do the water fountain there "bubble up" from an upward facing spout? Ours curve towards one side and just sort of pour out...kinda boring. Also, do you have odd or ethnic foods there that you can't get outside of your area? <<

Actually, only people in eastern Wisconsin actually say "bubbler" (this is often associated with *just* Milwaukee, but it actually is not Milwaukee-specific); the rest of Wisconsin still says "drinking fountain" or "water fountain".

As for the bubblers themselves, the name comes from a sort of, well, water fountain that was made historically by Kohler that very much did bubble up vertically. However, today we just have bubblers that look like everyone else's water fountains

>>Also, do you have odd or ethnic foods there that you can't get outside of your area?<<

Well, we do not really have any particular items that you *cannot get* outside of this area, but we do have food that is likely eaten more here than in other areas of the US, such as bratwurst.
Uriel   Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:23 am GMT
<<Perogies, Stromboli, Egg Cream, Bacon-Egg-&-Cheese-On-A-Hard-Roll (-weirdly enough, they don't even understand what I'm asking for!!!), Keiser Rolls, Matzah Ball Soup, Potato Latkes, Fasalatta, Most Italian Pastries (like a Neopolitan, Cannoli, Baba Rum -or "rum cake", Anisette Biscotto, Panettone, or a Sfogliatella -or "clam shell pastry") I may truly love this Rocky Mountain state, but I really miss my access to so many foods!>>

I have to admit that I've never heard of half of those, either. Now back to my chile rellenos and barbacoa...
Guest   Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:02 am GMT
i think i would drink same water now
Guest   Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:04 pm GMT
Jelly - Made with Fruit JUICES only.
Jam or Preserve - Made with Fruite PIECES and JUICES.
Marmalade - Citruis in nature and made with the PULP only.
Conserve - Mixture of fruit PIECES and JUICES. Can include Alcohol and nuts.