Need more time?

Juan Sebastian   Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:38 pm GMT
Hi guys, I am begginer and I have a question for you. How long time, everyday, I would need practice? I work all day but I want to learn English well. Is it possible?

PD: Sorry for my poor English.
furrykef   Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:37 pm GMT
It's certainly possible. Your English as it is now isn't that bad (it's easy to understand even though there are a couple of errors), so I see you don't have to start from the beginning, which certainly helps.

How much time to invest each day depends on how quickly you want to learn. I'd say that you could invest only 30 minutes every day, but it will take a long time to achieve fluency that way if you don't do anything else in the language. On the other hand, if you read a lot in English and watch a lot of TV in English -- not just for study but for your own enjoyment -- you might not need much formal study at all.

By the way, here's your message in correct English:

"Hi guys, I am a beginner and I have a question for you. How much time would I need to practice every day? I work all day, but I want to learn English well. Is it possible?"

(Also, "PD" should be "P.S.", which stands for "postscript".)

As you can see, you weren't too far off. :) ¡Saludos!

- Kef
Guest   Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:00 pm GMT
Search "Natural approach" on language learning methods on Google. It is stated that if you dont use your native language and just listen and read for one whole year without worrying about speaking and writing. Your language skills will emerge almost native like. In this case, your patience will take the precedent. Can you wait for that long without speaking and writing in the language? If you have that much patience, certainly you'll improve that way drastically and effortlessly.

Your language acquisition/ proficiency will come from understanding the language not from learning the language (like mastering grammar rules and learning words from endless lists of vocabulary).

Links:
http://coe.sdsu.edu/people/jmora/NatApprTheory-Eng/
http://www.englishraven.com/method_natural.html
Guest   Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:11 pm GMT
The Natural apparoch just reinforces Kef's above mentioned point. Enjoy the language instead of analyzing the language. Buy graded readers and read through them. Buy a movie or cartoon with English subtitles and watch it many times. You are doing nothing but enjoying the language for fun and killing your free time. Always start your journey with easy content and then move on to the hard ones.
Juan Sebastian   Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:10 pm GMT
Thanks a lot for the answers! :)