Spelling reform

Anon   Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:42 pm GMT
Italians have not that trouble. Memorization is not all to accept how this spelling is actually. It's reallly simple, yeah!

Italien hav not dhat trubl. Memerizaishun iz not al teh ekcept hou dhis speling iz akctual'y. It's reel'y simpl, yeah!
furrykef   Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:30 pm GMT
<< The Chinese manage to cope handily in terms of literacy with a writing system that demands the memorization of tens of thousands of characters. >>

I think you overstate Chinese literacy, and you certainly overstate how many characters need to be memorized. (Common estimates are that the average Chinese person knows maybe 6000 characters, and 10,000 characters is more or less the absolute maximum.)

Though on the other side of the coin, Japan is extremely literate, yet the average person must still know at least around 3000 characters.

- Kef
Anon   Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:35 pm GMT
I'm not against character memorization as I also agree with a writing reform for not minding symbols.
Anon   Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:44 pm GMT
Nintenman, you gave us some medicine names that we just know how to ask for our prescriptions when we go to the pharmasy because most times we don't even know how to pronounce write those names.

I'm agreed to have A GREAT SPELLING REFORM but I'm not sure how long I will live to see this. Imagine that Middle English from Old English took aproximately 400 years (1100-1500) to evolve as a new language, then since 1066 toward now it is called as Modern English.
NO MORE CHANGES HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO THE SPELLING, EXCEPT IN AMERICA WHEN NOAH WEBSTER MADE A NEW AMERICAN ENGLISH SPELLING BUT DID NOT REFORM IT SO MUCH EASIER EITHER.

I ALREADY LOST THIS WISH. THEY LOVE THE HARD WAY TO WRITE BECAUSE THIS IS THEIR LANGUAGE AND THAT IS HOW ALL GOES ON.

GOODBYE, DREAMS!