tolerated or objected to?

Travis   Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:51 pm GMT
I would have to say, though, that the use of "I wish I was" for the counterfactual in the present is still more acceptable to me than the use of "If I was" for such, even though it still does not "feel" quite right to me, as if it "should" be preferring to something in the past rather than something in the present.
Guest   Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:27 pm GMT
Well, to me "I wish I was here yesterday." sounds kind of funny and I would probably say "I wish I had been here yesterday." I'm not sure why that is, though.
Kendra   Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:43 pm GMT
''Well, to me "I wish I was here yesterday." sounds kind of funny and I would probably say "I wish I had been here yesterday." I'm not sure why that is, though.''

that's called ''Sequence of Verb Tenses or Shifting of the Tenses''
compare with:

I thought I did that yesterday* [wrong*] (original sentence: ''I do that yesterday''*)
I thought I had done that yesterday [correct] (original sentence: ''I did that yesterday'')
furrykef   Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:14 pm GMT
I don't see anything wrong with the sentence "I thought I did that yesterday".
Travis   Tue May 01, 2007 1:10 am GMT
>>Well, to me "I wish I was here yesterday." sounds kind of funny and I would probably say "I wish I had been here yesterday." I'm not sure why that is, though.<<

I find the two sentences to be largely equivalent myself.

>>I thought I did that yesterday* [wrong*] (original sentence: ''I do that yesterday''*)
I thought I had done that yesterday [correct] (original sentence: ''I did that yesterday'')<<

The thing is that for me at least, the first sentence is perfectly grammatical (as is the second sentence).
Josh Lalonde   Tue May 01, 2007 1:55 am GMT
"I wish I was here yesterday."
"I wish I had been here yesterday."
The first sounds a little strange to me, but not necessarily wrong; I would definitely prefer the second. "I wish I was here five minutes ago," sounds fine though.
"I thought I did that yesterday."
"I thought I had done that yesterday."
Both work in my dialect and mean essentially the same thing. The second can also be counterfactual, while the first sounds awkward if it is.
*"I thought I did that yesterday, but it turns out that I didn't."
"I thought I had done that yesterday, but it turns out that I hadn't."
furrykef   Tue May 01, 2007 3:27 am GMT
I still don't see anything grammatically wrong with it.
Lazar   Tue May 01, 2007 3:42 am GMT
Yeah, I've noticed that some people tend to use the past indicative where I would use the pluperfect subjunctive. For example, "I wish she didn't go [but she did]", or "I wish I didn't lose the game [but I did]." I've heard this it in real life and on TV, but it seems unnatural to me. (The example "I wish I was here yesterday" doesn't sound quite as unnatural to me, but it still doesn't seem like what I would normally say.)