HOW DO YOU ANSWER TO THE PHONE IN YOUR LANG/ IN YOUR COUNTRY

Mitch   Wed May 02, 2007 6:58 pm GMT
In Mandarin they use "wei."
ElPinoy   Mon May 07, 2007 12:57 am GMT
Fundador: That's really funny because in Philippines there are basic 3 languages mixed into one. English, Spanish, and Tagalog. When you greet someone, we say "Hi or Hello followed by Kumusta na" (Kumusta from Como esta?)
marko   Mon May 14, 2007 8:36 pm GMT
IN SERBIA - ZDRAVO. HALO, DA , SHTA JE
IN CROATIA - BOK, HALO, DA
IN ROMANIA - ALO, SALUT
Venezuela   Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:46 pm GMT
Aqui decimos:

"Aló", "Quien habla", "Con quie desea comunicarse"
Si, el mismo. De parte de quien?

ok
Guest   Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:18 pm GMT
in Italy, we say Pronto, chi parla? or simply sì?
K. T.   Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:03 pm GMT
In Italy, you do this four times? Wow! ;)

You must type quickly like I do.
Guest   Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:19 pm GMT
In Castilian Spanish:

¿Diga?

or

¿Si?

I often say ¿Quien es? Because I want to know at first place who is it to hang up because sometimes it's commercials.
Bubbanator   Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:28 am GMT
In Germany and Austria, "Hallo!" isn't actually used like the English word "Hello" in most circumstances. "Hallo!" is what you shout when you enter an apparently vacant building to see if there's anyone there, or perhaps if you hear a bump in the night and you want to see if it's the sort of cat-burglar who will introduce himself. Unless you know who's on the other end of the line, "Hallo!" sounds rude to my ears.

Most commonly, I hear "Familie Dingsbums, Guten Tag!" ("Dingsbums Family, Good Day!") or "Dingsbums, Guten Tag!".

At companies they say "Holschweitner, Gubberhans und Winkelmeister, Guten Tag!" (company name + Good Day) or "Holschweitner, Gubberhans und Winkelmeister, wie darf ich ihnen hilfen?" (company name + How can I help you?)

This has been my personal experience.
K. T.   Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:35 am GMT
Familie Dingsbums...
Guest   Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:36 am GMT
The word "hello" used to be like that in English, until it was adopted for use as a telephone greeting, after which it became a common greeting in real life as well.
Rodrio   Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:58 pm GMT
In Colombia there was an ad that pointed out the way we answer the phone. 99 % Aló and 1% Buenas tardes, *Company name*, a la orden. A la orden literarily means "I'll be here if there's an order" but it is common company PR and ordinary politeness.
Other ways are used only in companies and usually established by company policy.
Aló is almost universal but some older people also say a ver, but it's quickly disappearing.

I find the Cuban ¡Oigo! fantastic, it's the most accurate and has a wonderful sonority. It's Like Frasier's "I'm listening".

...only better :P
Travis   Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:10 pm GMT
In formal/business contexts, when receiving a call, one may say "This is <name> speaking" to the other person if they have not greeted one yet. However, this can be rather dry and impersonal overall (even though I still do so at work and like).
jo   Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:05 am GMT
@Bubbanator

Also in Germany there's an increasing use of the simple "Hallo!"

It's not meant to be rude, it's simply a result of the high increase of phone spam and people who suppress their caller ID
Bubbanator   Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:43 am GMT
@jo

Agreed, jo. I have heard more people on cell phones ("Handy" auf deutsch!) use "Hallo!". On the other hand, I don't know anyone who thinks that's a positive trend. It's a bit like answering the phone with "Yeah!" in English...agreed it happens, but practically nobody thinks it's polite or good or should be encouraged.

Just my 2 Euro-Cents-worth ;-)
Skippy   Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:53 am GMT
In California a lot of college students (I can't speak for any other age group) answer the phone "yeah?" I say "what's up?" And in German I say "Ich bin's" though I have a feeling that's not necessarily the most appropriate way to answer...