There is...

Josh Lalonde   Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:03 pm GMT
In normal conversation, I use "there's..." for both singular and plural, but more formally, I say "there are.." for plural. Do other varieties allow "there's..." for plural in casual speech?
Travis   Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:07 pm GMT
The use of "there's" for the plural while using "there are" (and not "there is") for the plural in more formal speech seems to be very common in North American English. I myself use it, even though I also use "there're" as well in even informal speech, and I would guess that most NAE-speakers today use it as well to some extent.
Lazar   Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:24 pm GMT
In informal usage, I can have both "there's" and "there are" for plurals, like Travis. For me, this is similar to the distinction between present subjunctive "may" and past subjunctive "might" - I often ignore the distinction, but sometimes I do make it, even in informal speech.
Torsh   Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:49 pm GMT
"there are" is correct. "there's" is ungrammatical as it's singular, with the plural equivelent being "there're" not "there's".
Kendra   Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:34 am GMT
there's so many things I like ....
David   Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:03 pm GMT
I think this began in the US, but it is definitely spreading to England, probably under the influence of US TV programmes.