the easiest language "in absolute"

Guest   Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:35 pm GMT
according to you which language should be considered the easiest "in absolute" ?
Guest   Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:18 pm GMT
Esperanto...
Guest   Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:56 pm GMT
Yours
furrykef   Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:44 am GMT
You mean, without another language as a frame of reference? I don't think such an evaluation is possible. If we include only the spoken form of the language, all languages are about the same difficulty to learn as a first language. (For written languages, the simpler the alphabet and the orthography, the easier it is. Spanish is one of the best-case scenarios; Chinese and Japanese are the worst-case scenarios.)

- Kef
Guest   Tue May 01, 2007 4:45 pm GMT
I'm sorry, but what do you mean by "in absolute"? That makes no fucking sense.
Vincent   Tue May 01, 2007 6:14 pm GMT
Indonesian, then Esperanto and also Quechua and Turkish (the most regular languages on earth). Although on a linguistic point of view that makes no sense.

One of the most difficult, I think, may be Georgian, for all the non-caucasian language speakers, that is, the majority of us.
SpamHater   Tue May 01, 2007 8:25 pm GMT
I was always under the impression that English is just about the simplest language on the planet, other than languages specifically designed for ease of learning (like Esperanto, Interlingua, etc.)

Was it Winston Churchill who claimed that English could be learned in just a few weeks (or was it months?) of diligent study?
Mitch   Tue May 01, 2007 9:55 pm GMT
English may have a simpler grammar than most other European languages, but it is certainly not the easiest overall:

Pronunciation: Much more complicated than Spanish, Italian, Indonesian, Hebrew, Japanese, etc. Many sounds--'r', 'th' (both pronunciations), vowel glides, et al.--that are different from most languages.

Orthography: One of the worst of any alphabet-based writing. Spanish, Italian, Indonesian, Swahili, German, etc. are much more consistent.

Grammar: Yes, simpler than many, but not as simple as Chinese, Indonesian, or Afrikaans. Maybe even the Scandinavian tongues.

Idiomatic usage: A huge number of idiomatic phrases, prepositional phrases, etc.

English may seem easier to many because of the huge exposure it has, and because of the number of cognates it shares with many languages, but I doubt it's the easiest "in absolute." Among non-artificial languages, it's probably Indonesian.
James   Fri May 04, 2007 4:35 pm GMT
Actually, there are "natural" languages that may be even easier than Indonesian. They have:

An extremely simple, straightforward grammar. (No cases, conjugations, genders, etc.)

Simple phonology

Regular orthography

And, to make them easier for most folks, they have an English-based vocabulary.

I'm talking about some of the English-based creoles, like Tok Pisin. They are "real" languages, no longer pidgins, i.e., they're spoken by many as their native language. And they are "natural," not constructed, like Esperanto.

Has anyone out there had any experience learning or using one of these languages?