semicolons in lists with a verb that follows

David   Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:51 am GMT
I know you can use semicolons to list the objects of a verb, after the verb, that is, but I am interested in getting the punctuations right when the items listed precede the verb, or are its subject. Is this right? (You won't be helping me by telling me there are other ways to phrase this sentence. I am interested in punctuating this correctly, not in rephrasing.):

Mr Jones, who was our history teacher 10 years ago; Miss Smith, who is currently the dinner lady; and Mr Brown, who has just been taken on as the caretaker, all turned up for dinner today.

Is this punctuated right? I am interested in whether the comma after "caretaker" is right. Thank you.
furrykef   Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:00 pm GMT
In this case, the comma is necessary because it ends the clause that begins with "who has just been...". If a clause begins with a comma, it needs to end with one (unless, of course, the clause extends to the end of the sentence).

If the clause weren't there, I'd omit the comma.

- Kef
furrykef   Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:04 pm GMT
Oh, and of course a clause that begins with a comma can end with a semicolon if appropriate, as is the case with the clauses accompanying Mr Jones and Miss Smith. ;)

- Kef