Castellano or Español?

ElPinoy   Mon May 07, 2007 1:28 am GMT
I might add that when I was in Barcelona, I was a little afraid to even say the word Español because of the separatist who hates calling Castellano Español. I was even hesitant to ask the hotel attendant where I can find Comida Española. I thought I had to say Comida Castellana. It was just something that I was in my mind. Anyhow one of the hotel attendants was Filipino and the other from Basque region. So we just talked about Jai-Alai since the guy from Basque region used to travel to Cebu in the Philippines to play Jai-Alai. I think it is also played in other Latin American countries.
Pete   Mon May 07, 2007 4:44 pm GMT
<<I was even hesitant to ask the hotel attendant where I can find Comida Española. I thought I had to say Comida Castellana. It was just something that I was in my mind.>>

Don't worry about that. "Comida Española" refers to all the dishes and different types of food that originated all over Spain, no nationalism anyway. Spanish food wouldn't exist if it weren't for Andalucia, Cataluña, Castilla, Galicia, Euskadi, etc...

<<Anyhow one of the hotel attendants was Filipino and the other from Basque region. So we just talked about Jai-Alai since the guy from Basque region used to travel to Cebu in the Philippines to play Jai-Alai. I think it is also played in other Latin American countries.>>

I don't think so. What's that game like by the way? maybe we do play it, but we call it differently.

Kind regards

Pete from Peru
Manolo   Mon May 07, 2007 7:16 pm GMT
Pedro, se refiere al "frontón" o "pelota vasca".
Spaniard   Tue May 08, 2007 11:57 am GMT
Jai-alai is the original name in Basque. In Spanish it's known as "cesta punta" because the players use a basket to catch an return the ball and it is one of several types of ball games played in a "frontón". It's quite an spectacular game.
Pete   Fri May 11, 2007 4:11 am GMT
Ah Gracias! "Pelota vasca", yeah I know what it is. It looks quite fast and exciting. But here in Perú, "Frontón" is something different, it's more like tennis played on a one-sided court, where there's a very big wall. Players are supposed to hit the ball against the wall so the other one can answer and that kind of thing.

Saludos

Pedro de Perú
Don Fulgencio de la Pitui   Mon May 14, 2007 11:21 pm GMT
Que se llama Castellano!
Rodrigo (COL)   Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:30 pm GMT
This doubt is answered by the Real Academia Española who has the last word in these cases. Español is the best way to call the language because in other languages: Spanish, espagnol. spagnolo, Spanisch it's called that way. The RAE also says that castellano was the language spoken centuries ago un Castilla.

Remember: In Spanish the RAE's way is the correct way. By the way, they have a GREAT 'consultas lingüísticas' service though I don't know if they'll answer in English
furrykef   Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:47 am GMT
<< Remember: In Spanish the RAE's way is the correct way. >>

Many, many people will disagree with you there.
Adolfo   Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:44 am GMT
"Saying Castellano is more political correct"... in Spain. There is an absurd debate about this subject in Spain. But Spain is one country among 22 where Spanish is spoken. As a spaniard I have noticed one thing: in the south of Spain people tend to say "Español" and in the north they tend to say "Castellano" instead of "Español". The reason is clear to me: in Castilla La Vieja , as the language originated there, they say proudly "Castellano", and also in surrounding places like Aragon/Catalonia . As a southern spaniard I personally find "Castellano" an archaic term and prefer to say Español. I don't care what other people, specially separatist people, say. It is my mother tonge and I have the right to name it as I want to. It is a paradox, they feel not spanish and care about how spanish people name their language.
Rodrigo (COL)   Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:52 pm GMT
Adolfo, I totally agree with you. It is our mother tongue so we name it any way we want. I also believe that people who don't feel Spanish should care how we call it. I ultimately believe the only important thing is that we understand each other. For example, I say 'media' and others may say 'calcetín' we both know what the other's talking about. As long as there are no political reasons behind it nobody really cares.
Pete   Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:17 am GMT
"Remember: In Spanish the RAE's way is the correct way."

You're right Rodrigo. And Adolfo, you made a very good point there. I agree with you. Well, there's not much else to say here...

Regards

Pete
furrykef   Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:55 am GMT
My impression is that many speakers, including educated ones, basically ignore the RAE. If so, it can hardly be argued that "the RAE's way is the correct way".
guest   Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:44 pm GMT
what about the other variety of "Spanish"--Andalusian? How does that fit in?

I have always believed that Español (Spanish) was comprised of two dialects: Castilian & Andalusian, and that the other languages spoken in Spain were not "Spanish" but Galician & Catalan respectively.

Yes? No?

In this sense, Castilian would not be one and the same with Español. right?
Pete   Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:57 am GMT
"I have always believed that Español (Spanish) was comprised of two dialects: Castilian & Andalusian, and that the other languages spoken in Spain were not "Spanish" but Galician & Catalan respectively."

You're right in saying that Galician and Catalan are languages themselves. But usually Catalans and Galicians are bilingual and they know their mother tongue along with Spanish. And when they speak Spanish they definitely have a characteristic 'Catalan' or 'Galician' accent. Not that I can tell apart those accents, but any average Spaniard can.

In English I believe that the language is Spanish, and Castillian would be the dialect (accent) that you can find in Castille.

Regards

Pedro de Peru
furrykef   Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:31 am GMT
Guest, are you blind or something? http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t7993.htm