Stock vs Stalk

Kirk   Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:12 am GMT
<<stock - /stOk/ but can be realised as [stQk] or [stOk].
stuck - /stVk/
stalk - /sto:k/>>

Transcriptions vary, but many (if not most?) of the more recent transcriptions of modern AusE tend to use /6/ for the vowel in "stuck." So:

"stuck" /st6k/ (sometimes /stak/, but I think /st6k/ is more accurate).

I've also seen /stVk/ and /stOk/ commonly used for "stock." As you indicated, I always see the vowel in "stalk" represented with /o:/.
ats   Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:21 pm GMT
bestealcian resembles dutch "bestoken" = shooting ,at someone something( with bombs, bullets , stones , horseshit , insults or questions)
Kenna   Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:31 am GMT
[sta:k] for me

[a] is neither front or back, it's central for me, more front than back :)
Travis   Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:24 pm GMT
For me, those three are:

"stock" : /stAk/ -> [stAk]
"stuck" : /st@k/ -> [stVk]
"stalk" : /stOk/ -> [stOk]
Kirk   Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:30 pm GMT
<<bestealcian resembles dutch "bestoken" = shooting ,at someone something( with bombs, bullets , stones , horseshit , insults or questions)>>

Interesting!

<<[sta:k] for me

[a] is neither front or back, it's central for me, more front than back :)>>

Where are you from, Kenna?
Uriel   Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:01 am GMT
They're pretty much the same for me. (I thought they were different for a moment, but then a used them in a sentence and ... nah.)
Inigo   Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:48 am GMT
Very differently; stalk [stO:k], stock [stQk].
Ecko   Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:32 am GMT
stahck
stawk
NEVADawn   Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:36 am GMT
stawk = stahck for me [sta:k]
AJ   Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:31 pm GMT
In the British English world, such as with Cot/Caught, they are pronounced differently; in the American English world, they're pronounced the same.
Due to Americanisation of our culture with petrol becoming gas, zed become zee and everything just happening to be 'going on', I'm sure that soon these words will also be pronounced similarly.
Red Ken would just love this wouldn't he.
Travis   Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:28 am GMT
>>in the American English world, they're pronounced the same.<<

Depends just on what dialect of North American English one is speaking of. I speak a dialect of such (and, yes, one in the US), and yet "stock" and "stalk" are clearly distinguished in my dialect.
TRB   Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:49 am GMT
The vowels are so different for me they are downright phonemic!

I have a NYC accent.
Kirk   Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:04 am GMT
<<In the British English world, such as with Cot/Caught, they are pronounced differently; in the American English world, they're pronounced the same.>>

Correction: in the Canadian English world they're pronounced the same. 50-60% of Americans distinguish "cot-caught." That means a lot do and a lot don't, but it's certainly not all of them either way you look at it.

<<Due to Americanisation of our culture with petrol becoming gas, zed become zee>>

"zee" was originally a British dialectal pronunciation of "zed" that became the dominant word in the US.

<<and everything just happening to be 'going on', I'm sure that soon these words will also be pronounced similarly.>>

Very unlikely. Adopting scattered lexical items is far different from adopting wholesale phonological changes and mergers/splits. In fact, in that respect, British English (or more correctly, the many British Englishes) and the US Englishes (as well as other varieties around the world for that matter) are slowly but surely becoming less like each other, not more. This has been well documented by linguists.
chris   Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:08 am GMT
What is the right pronounciation of " says "?

The way Americans say it , it sounds like " said " with a 'z" at the end of the word. People from England or Australia seem to pronounce it differently and sound more like ' say " with just a soft ' z " at the end. am i right . i am not a native speaker. But that is the way it sounds to me. Can someone explain.
Avi   Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:11 am GMT
<This is another cot-caught question. They are pronounced either the same or differently in the US depending upon what region one lives in. >

As a non native speaker of English, I don't know which way to pronounce
this tow words is right or more proper, but I remember my teachers tought me they are pronouned different. As for pronunciation, I am having my hard time with it, follewed with my listening comprehendsion,as
my mothertongue is Contonese.