/kl/

Josh Lalonde   Sun May 06, 2007 3:50 pm GMT
I've noticed that I sometimes pronounce initial /kl/ with an affricate, something like [kx5] when it's emphatic, but I've heard some speakers who seem to use this all the time. In what dialects does this occur and what is its origin?
Lazar   Sun May 06, 2007 5:41 pm GMT
I also have a transitional sound there, which is especially noticeable when it's emphatic. In my case, I think the transitional sound is an alveolar lateral fricative: [kKl].
Sarcastic Northwesterner   Sun May 06, 2007 5:51 pm GMT
I highly doubt it has anything to do with their dialect. I've heard teachers overemphasize their k's: khlock. If it seems fairly consistent, it's probably just their idiolect.
Travis   Sun May 06, 2007 5:53 pm GMT
Especially when speaking emphatically, I will at times have a transitional sound, with /kl/ being realized as something like [kxL\].
Josh Lalonde   Sun May 06, 2007 8:16 pm GMT
Does this occur in any other stop+/l/ sequences? It doesn't for me
play [p_hle]
blue [blu]
glue [glu]
I think my emphatic /kl/ might actually have a uvular fricative: [kX5]. The /l/ is much darker than it usually is pre-vocalically.
Something else I never noticed: the realisation of /l/ seems to affect which allophone of GOOSE I use. My normal pronunciation of /kl/ has a clearer /l/ and [}u] for GOOSE as is usual after coronals, while the [kX5] pronunciation has my back, monophthogal /u/.
clue [k_hl}u] or [kX5u]
Lazar   Sun May 06, 2007 9:50 pm GMT
I don't have a transitional sound in "blue" or "glue":

blue ["blu:]
glue ["glu:]

But I do have it in "play" (and for what it's worth, "Tlaxcala"):

play ["pKleI]
Tlaxcala [tKlA:"skA:l@]
Travis   Sun May 06, 2007 11:18 pm GMT
>>I don't have a transitional sound in "blue" or "glue":

blue ["blu:]
glue ["glu:]<<

I likewise lack transitional sounds in these cases.

>>But I do have it in "play" (and for what it's worth, "Tlaxcala"):

play ["pKleI]
Tlaxcala [tKlA:"skA:l@] <<

I similarly sporadically realize onset /pl/ as [pxL\], but /tl/ does not really seem to undergo such insertion of [x] for me at all.
Josh Lalonde   Mon May 07, 2007 12:00 am GMT
I seem to have it in 'Tlaxcala' [tK5aks"kal@], but that's barely an English word. I suspect that the [K] comes from an overlap between the aspiration of the stop and the lateral release into /l/. I'm still not sure about the [x] or [X] in /kl/. Here's my theory: /l/ is realized as [5] by assimilation to the preceeding velar, then the aspiration of the stop overlaps only with the back articulation and produces [x] or [X]. I'm not sure why this assimilation would be more likely with emphatic pronunciations though. I'm also not sure why 'Tlaxcala' should have a dark /l/.
Tlaxcala   Mon May 07, 2007 12:11 am GMT
Tlaxcala is supposed to be pronounced [tɬaːʃkala]. The "x" is a [ʃ].
Lazar   Mon May 07, 2007 4:19 am GMT
That's true, but for the English pronunciation, all the dictionaries that I've seen say it has [s]. (We can also use "Tlingit", a tribe from Alaska and BC.)
Travis   Mon May 07, 2007 8:53 am GMT
>>I seem to have it in 'Tlaxcala' [tK5aks"kal@], but that's barely an English word. I suspect that the [K] comes from an overlap between the aspiration of the stop and the lateral release into /l/. I'm still not sure about the [x] or [X] in /kl/. Here's my theory: /l/ is realized as [5] by assimilation to the preceeding velar, then the aspiration of the stop overlaps only with the back articulation and produces [x] or [X]. I'm not sure why this assimilation would be more likely with emphatic pronunciations though. I'm also not sure why 'Tlaxcala' should have a dark /l/.<<

Of course, for me, [x] makes sense because my /l/ is always velar (and not even merely velarized).