Where do people speak English less?

Travis   Mon May 14, 2007 1:36 pm GMT
By the way, the above "Travis" is not actually me.
furrykef   Mon May 14, 2007 4:30 pm GMT
*blink* You blame Catalonians for learning their own native language?
Grease   Mon May 14, 2007 8:19 pm GMT
The Spanish actually don't make the slightest effort to try to speak English correctly,and you hardly ever hear people pronunciating right. But can't really blame them for that since many people know Spanish. But the amusing thing though is that ,if you go asking people around if they speak English,they say "yes" or "a little" and simply keep speaking Spanish like you had never asked.
Aldo   Mon May 14, 2007 8:36 pm GMT
<<My impression was that relatively few people speak english in south america and japan. What do you think of this? >>

I have the same impression at least in Latin America, I don't know about Japan. I think it's logic since English is for business if you are in a business that needs it otherwise it's unnecessary as any other language.

I think the situation changes if your language is spoken only in your country and only with English is possible a better comunication outside of it.

For example, is it not true that Dutch, Norwegians or Swedes have a great level of English ?
Franco   Tue May 15, 2007 10:21 am GMT
Francish people can speak englandish but don't want to cos they are too good for silly languages.
Guest   Tue May 15, 2007 10:54 am GMT
In my opinion, a lot of people know a basic English.

But, if we want to be stricter, and you want to know how many people speak English perfect or almost perfect in other countries (including slang and almost all phrasal verbs, for instance) the situation is becoming very difficult.

I think that almost nobody speak it perfectly, perhaps some teachers, and people that were living in UK or USA, and they came back to their country...