What accent is this?

Confused   Sun May 13, 2007 8:28 pm GMT
Julian   Sun May 13, 2007 10:16 pm GMT
I'm not an accent expert, but as I can judge, it defenitely sounds American, though I couldn't mention any location...
Julian   Sun May 13, 2007 10:18 pm GMT
*definitely* sorry for the typing error....
Confused   Sun May 13, 2007 10:34 pm GMT
Thanks. I was wondering which regional accent it is.
Sarcastic Northwesterner   Sun May 13, 2007 10:56 pm GMT
Hmm. I'm not quite sure. But I'm guessing somewhere in the Midwest, because cot and caught were unmerged. I also heard sari and tomahrow. M-m-m merger too.
Sarcastic Northwesterner   Sun May 13, 2007 11:08 pm GMT
Actually I might change my guess. It sounds a little different. I had just listened to the word list before.
Josh Lalonde   Mon May 14, 2007 1:14 am GMT
I was thinking Virginia. That's more of a guess though.
Guy   Mon May 14, 2007 9:34 am GMT
She sounds like she's a non-rhotic speaker from the UK trying to put on an American accent... hmm, but I'm not too sure.
AnnieJP   Mon May 14, 2007 9:56 am GMT
Sarcastic Northwesterner, I thought she was Midwestern as well or maybe east of it. She's got some strange speech patterns.

"She sounds like she's a non-rhotic speaker from the UK trying to put on an American accent... hmm, but I'm not too sure."

Yes, a lot of people have claimed she sounds English. She almost sounds non-rhotic and I mistook her for being English at one point. Even now, I think it sounds a bit like English-accented American English but I already know she's not. Actually, I already know where she's from but upon learning where it was, I was a bit surprised because I didn't think she sounded like from the region where she lives in. Now I'm very confused and I'm wondering what others think. :/
Shatnerian   Mon May 14, 2007 11:34 am GMT
Let's first decide where you are not from. You are definitely not from anywhere in Canada or the Upper Midwest. None of your vowel sounds seem rounded at all. I am about 95% sure that you are not from the Pacific Northwest, but if you are, you are definitely not from the state of Washington or the Portland, Oregon area. You are also not from California. Honestly, I don't think you are from anywhere west of Nebraska. You are also definitely not from NYC, Boston, Maine, or probably anywhere in New England.

You could very well be an English person trying to emulate an American accent or perhaps a Southerner that is trying to sound General American. What leads me to believe that you might be Southern is your pronunciation of "caught". It sounds a bit different than they way I have heard unmerged Midwesterners and Northeasterners say it.

My guesses: Southern Illinois or Indiana; Central or Southern Missouri; Southern Ohio; somewhere in North Carolina or Virginia; a larger Southern city such as Atlanta, Birmingham, Dallas, or Nashville; non-American trying to emulate an American accent.
AnnieJP   Tue May 15, 2007 12:09 am GMT
The person who posted these sound files (me) is actually not the person talking in them. :P
Crystallina   Tue May 15, 2007 12:22 am GMT
Yeah. I'm definitely the person who spoke this and somebody posted this on the forums.

And it's North Carolina, although none of my family has any sort of a Southern accent that I can detect. (My mother didn't grow up there and my father was born in Baghdad.)