spell/spelling

Bridget   Wed May 16, 2007 12:11 pm GMT
If asking about a person's name, when would one use "How do you spell that, sir" over "How are you spelling that, sir"?
Calliope   Wed May 16, 2007 2:57 pm GMT
"How do you spell that" - how do you normally spell it
"How are you spelling that" - you are implying he is in the process of spelling it *right now*.
M56   Wed May 16, 2007 7:02 pm GMT
"How are you spelling that" - you are implying he is in the process of spelling it *right now*.

Maybe, Calliope, but it's normally used when there are different spellings of a person's name.
furrykef   Wed May 16, 2007 9:54 pm GMT
I would always prefer "How do you spell that?"

As M56 suggests, "How are you spelling that?" could be used when there are different spellings, but I don't hear this construction very often. I think the difference between the two is that "How do you spell that?" can be taken as an impersonal construction ("How does one spell that?"), whereas "How are you spelling that?" unambiguously refers to the second person ("How do *you* spell that?"). But that distinction is rarely necessary, because "How do you spell that?" will always be understood.

- Kef
Priscilla   Wed May 16, 2007 11:54 pm GMT
<I would always prefer "How do you spell that?" >

My goodness, why? If you have two forms and each is needed in different contexts, why would you want to use only one of them?
M56   Wed May 16, 2007 11:56 pm GMT
<But that distinction is rarely necessary, because "How do you spell that?" will always be understood. >

If language usage where only about understanding, we could tell a everyone who asked us for a favour to just "Fuck off", right?
furrykef   Thu May 17, 2007 12:31 am GMT
The thing is, though, that the nuance added by using "How are you spelling that?" is superfluous and irrelevant. The listener very likely won't care which form was used, so I prefer the simpler and (to me) more obvious form. By contrast, if somebody asks you a favor, he or she probably cares very much whether you answer "Sorry, but I'm busy right now" versus "Fuck off!"

<< My goodness, why? If you have two forms and each is needed in different contexts, why would you want to use only one of them? >>

Because I don't believe each is needed in different contexts. "How do you spell that, sir?" always does the job. As the proverb goes, "If the shoe fits, wear it!"

- Kef
Guest   Thu May 17, 2007 2:37 am GMT
"My goodness, why? If you have two forms and each is needed in different contexts, why would you want to use only one of them?"

They aren't "needed" in different contexts, stupid bitch. Why don't you mind your own business?
furrykef   Thu May 17, 2007 4:46 am GMT
Hey, now that was completely uncalled for...
Guest   Thu May 17, 2007 6:25 am GMT
<Because I don't believe each is needed in different contexts. "How do you spell that, sir?" always does the job. >

This means that you set the standard of politeness all the time. Some situations require that we "play the social game". If all of us were like you, it would be fine to use any form of address or level of politeness that we wished.
Pos   Thu May 17, 2007 6:28 am GMT
They aren't "needed" in different contexts, stupid bitch. Why don't you mind your own business? >>>>

You haven't added even one useful comment on the above topic about language use. Why are you on a language forum?
furrykef   Thu May 17, 2007 6:41 am GMT
<< This means that you set the standard of politeness all the time. Some situations require that we "play the social game". If all of us were like you, it would be fine to use any form of address or level of politeness that we wished. >>

What does politeness have to do with it? As I already stated, both forms seem equally polite to me.

- Kef
Guest   Thu May 17, 2007 7:00 am GMT
"How are you spelling that, sir"?

I be spelling that with a smidgin of nana toenail clippings, a dab of pigeon droppings and a splash of worcestershire sauce.
M56   Thu May 17, 2007 7:23 am GMT
<What does politeness have to do with it? As I already stated, both forms seem equally polite to me. >

But not to all others. So, would you "play the social game", as mentioned above, and use the "how are you spelling that" when in the company of those who recognise that form as expressing more politeness, more social distance? Would you use it with people who expect to hear that form?
Priscilla   Thu May 17, 2007 7:30 am GMT
For me, "may", in asking for permission, is not suitable among my friends. It is too distant and sound overpolite. "Can" is fine in that situation. But, if I am with people who expect "may", I would certainly use "may". Being a proficient user means knowing what is appropriate in certain situations.