The English Words Sun and Sol in Your Language

Brennus   Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:25 pm GMT
"Sol" in English is a poetic term for the 'sun' but rarely used. The word is also used sometimes by astronomers on star maps to distinguish our sun from neighboring stars like Alpha & Beta Centauri, Tau Ceti, Altair, Vega etc. but again, not very often. The Anglo-Saxon word for 'sun' was sunne in German it is very close, Sonne as is English sunshine and German Sonnenschein.
Brennus   Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:27 pm GMT
"Old Sol" is what I was thinking of.
Geoff_One   Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:31 pm GMT
<< So, What is the difference between "sun" and "star" ? >>

A "sun" is a local star that is in the system (eg solar system) you are in.

A star a distant star that is in another/distant star system.
Geoff_One   Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:33 pm GMT
Typo allert:
A star is a
Geoff_One   Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:48 pm GMT
Thanks everyone for your replies.
bernard   Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:43 am GMT
" I think every language has the same diffrentiation, whether they use the same word or not (I'm pretty sure most indo-european languages use the two definitions of "Star" in the way we do, but I could be wrong). "

non, en Français "étoile" n'est jamais utilisé pour parler d'une galaxie, d'une nébuleuse, d'un quasar, d'une planète ou tout autre corps céleste autre qu'une étoile dans sa définition scientifique.
Bien sur, lorque des gens ne s'y connaissent pas en astronoie, en voyant des planètes briller dans le ciel auraient tendence à les appeler "étoiles" (Cf. Vénus est courament surnommée "étoile du Berger")
Frances   Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:29 pm GMT
Mac - Sonce, Ser - sunce, star - zveszda/svezda.

Stars are nebulous bodies that produces light and undergo nuclear fusions like someone said (H ---> He and vice-versa I think). The Sun refers to the star that our galaxy rotates around. The sun is a star.
Frances   Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:40 pm GMT
sorry zveszda = zvezda
bernard   Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:03 pm GMT
"The Sun refers to the star that our galaxy rotates around. The sun is a star. "

Our Galaxy (the milky way) is not rotating around the Sun (Sol). But the Sun is only one of the 100 000 000 000 Stars that rotates around the Milky way's heart (maybe host of a Giant black hole). I think you confused "galaxy" with "solar system", as a lot of people does. Our Galaxy is thousands million of times bigger than the solar system. And our Galaxy is only one medium sized Galaxy surounded by billion others.
Guest   Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:46 pm GMT
"non, en Français "étoile" n'est jamais utilisé pour parler d'une galaxie, d'une nébuleuse, d'un quasar, d'une planète ou tout autre corps céleste autre qu'une étoile dans sa définition scientifique."

Si, c'est pareil en francais.

Selon Le Petit Robert:
étoile [etwal] n. f.

I¨ Astre.

1¨ Cour. Tout astre visible, excepté le Soleil et la Lune; point brillant dans le ciel, la nuit.
à La guerre* des étoiles.
à Loc. À LA BELLE ÉTOILE : en plein air, la nuit.

2¨ Astron. Astre producteur et émetteur d'énergie, et dont le mouvement apparent sur la sphère céleste est trop faible pour l'observation à courte durée Þ stellaire.

3¨ (du sens 1) ÉTOILE FILANTE : météorite dont le passage dans l'atmosphère terrestre se signale par un trait de lumière.

4¨ Par anal. Point lumineux, étincelle.
Frances   Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:52 pm GMT
Bernard - yes, you're right. I was thinking of our solar system.
Uriel   Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:29 pm GMT
I think of stars and suns as interchangeable terms, but I prefer stars for the scientific term, and suns as a more poetic or evocative term.
Brennus   Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:56 am GMT
Scientifically speaking, "suns" are stars formed from larger stars which exploded (called supernovas or supernovae). All of the planets, moons asteroids, the precious gems and metals, the oceans and even ourselves have been formed out of supernova remnants along with the sun.

A supernova may actually give birth to several suns and planetary systems. Astronomers (see Carl Sagan) believe that our sun has siblings elsewhere in the galaxy possibly with intelligent beings circling them doing the same things we're doing and asking the same questions about the universe that we ask.
greg   Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:27 am GMT
Laissons les étoiles pour notre bonne vieille Terre et les créateurs de paroles qui la peuplent. Fr <soleil> est l'un des mots de la langue française que je préfère. Avant tout pour sa phénotypie : l'effet visuel que l'allure de ce mot dégage quand il est écrit — c'est très subjectif. On dirait qu'il rayonne, irradie et sourit en même temps. Au niveau phonétique aussi, j'aime bien [solEj]. Une interaction intime entre signifiant et signifié ?
bernard   Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:13 am GMT
The names of celestial objects are often full of beauty

La Terre
La Lune
Le Soleil
Les étoiles

Earth
The Moon
The Sun
The stars / the Suns

La Tierra
La Luna